Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:48 PM   #11

i always use save as... ok i dont think i am doing something wrong.this one i just used ps cs4 and risized it and save as then uploaded... the orgenal says exif version 0221...if that means anything i am still new to all of this...
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:51 PM   #12

ok jim i see what you are saying now i just download the one i posted back to my computer and there is no info at all...but the file before i up load has all the info.. i am not sure how it is lossing it just from uploading...
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:15 PM   #13

Get a flickr account (it's free). That keeps the data intact. Also, for only $24 a year, you can post the original size jpeg on flickr.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:21 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeze_wizz View Post
ok jim i see what you are saying now i just download the one i posted back to my computer and there is no info at all...but the file before i up load has all the info.. i am not sure how it is lossing it just from uploading...
It wouldn't be losing it from uploading. The forums software isn't modifying the attachment. You probably uploaded a different file than you looked at if you can open the file on your PC and see it (or the software you're using has a separate file somewhere it's tracking the photo info with). Otherwise, the EXIF would still be in your post attachment.

IOW, something in your workflow stripped out the EXIF *before* you uploaded it here. If you're not starting with the "straight from the camera" original when using Photoshop to resize it, and you're using "Save As" versus "Save for Web", then some other software you used for editing prior to downsizing with PS probably stripped the EXIF out.

If you look at the file you upload with a basic editor (for example, using the Image>Information>EXIF menu choice with the free Irfanview), you can tell if the EXIF is in it or not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:40 AM   #15

If you really wish to shoot birds, you're going to want something in the 300-400mm range minimum. In reality, 300mm is very often too short. The beercan would, IMO, be a very poor lens for wildlife work.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote