Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 31, 2009, 9:24 PM   #1

Default help with lens

i am looking for some stuff better then the kit lens problem is i dont have deep pockets...i would say mabe 4 or 5 hundred at the most to spend.. use is good.. can someone tell me some good ones to look at on KEH website...its for a sony a-350..i was looking at this one

Minolta Auto Focus28-200 F3.8-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL XR INTERNAL FOCUS MACRO BLACK (62) (A03) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS

is this something i should look into... i have pics i have taken posted in the diffrent pics section..thanks for ur time

i am getting into all aspects of shooting...from sports to modelling...to wild life... i was alos looking at this for shooting models

Minolta Auto Focus50 F1.7 (49) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS STANDARD ANGLE LENS

please look at the pics i have posted and tell me if these would be better then the kits lens...

Last edited by cheeze_wizz; May 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM.
cheeze_wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:17 AM   #2

Get Sigma 17-70mm ($320 ebay BRAND NEW) and Minolta 70-210 F4 (beercan) (less than $200 ebay). That's inside your budget and nice jump up from kit.

Last edited by oneguy; Jun 1, 2009 at 1:20 AM.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:13 AM   #3

The Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 that oneguy mentioned is a very nice replacement for the kit lens. It's sharper, has less chromatic aberration and focuses closer thant he kit lens. It should work well for some of what you shoot.

The Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 'Beercan' is also a very nice lens, but it's not very long. The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is also a very nice, reasonably priced telephoto zoom lens. It's longer and less expensive than the 'Beercan' and it's a 1:2 macro lens as well.

The photos you posted don't have any EXIF data, so it's hard to tell how you got them, but generally you would need a longer focal length than the Beercan' has if you want to shoot birds in flight.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:05 AM   #4

thank you both for the info... I dont know why the pics i posted dont have info i used PhotoScape to resize them... they have info when i open them on this end....but thats the file not the one from here.... I will look into both of those lenes...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeze_wizz View Post
thank you both for the info... I dont know why the pics i posted dont have info i used PhotoScape to resize them... they have info when i open them on this end....but thats the file not the one from here.... I will look into both of those lenes...
Did you shoot in RAW and processed in PS? If so, the EXIF data will be lost. Some photo editors will remove the EXIF data even from the JPEG file. Also, some editors (I'm not that familiar with PS so I can't say for sure), will give you the option to preserve the EXIF info. or not. In any case, you can always post the un-edited version of the images, which should contain the full EXIF data.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Get Sigma 17-70mm ($320 ebay BRAND NEW) and Minolta 70-210 F4 (beercan) (less than $200 ebay). That's inside your budget and nice jump up from kit.
I find the "beercan" FL too short (you really want to get to 300mm for wild life shooting) and it's bulky and heavy. It's sharp but does not do it for me.

Tullio
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:41 PM   #7

the only program i used to resize them was PhotoScape... but i also did notice that when u do a bacth edit for the frist time it has something like sharped and darken set to do it as default...but thats what happens with free programs i guess...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
the only program i used to resize them was PhotoScape... but i also did notice that when u do a bacth edit for the frist time it has something like sharped and darken set to do it as default...but thats what happens with free programs i guess...
Most programs I know will not strip the EXIF data from the image if all you do is sharpening and cropping unless you shot in RAW and converted to JPEG through S/W. Again, you might want to post one untouched image containing the EXIF data.

Tullio
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:18 PM   #9

here it is just rsized with ps cs4....i can not load a full untouched pic becuase its over 3mbs...
Attached Images

Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:42 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
here it is just rsized with ps cs4....i can not load a full untouched pic becuase its over 3mbs...
That image doesn't have any EXIF metadata in it either. If you use Photoshop for downsizing and want someone to see the EXIF, use "Save As" versus "Save for Web" (Save for Web strips out the EXIF information).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote