Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:59 PM   #1

Default Need help troubleshooting KM 7D problem

My KM 7D is about three years old. Over the past year, a few times, when turning on the camera, it would make a click,click, click, click sound. Everything would turn on and the camera would focus but nothing would happen when I depressed the shutter release button all the way down. The rest of the time, the camera worked fine. Now, it does it just about all the time and I am unable to take any photos. I've tried taking the battery out for 24 hours, tried different settings, switching lens, to no avail. I don't use the camera very often and I'm very disappointed.

Is there something I'm missing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you sure it's not taking one photo then stopping (appearing to "hang"), with a black frame exposure if you view the stored image? That's known as First Frame Black. You can read more about that issue here:

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/F...lack_Frame.asp

Sony was repairing cameras with that problem at no charge (even if the warranty was expired). Konica Minolta issued a service bulletin indicating that cameras with this problem would be repaired, even if their warranty is expired (and Sony was honoring it and probably still is). At times, they've ran short on parts and they offered a pro rated buyback to 7D owners. I don't know what the current status for 7D parts is.

Try cleaning your lens mount contacts. Ditto for your battery contacts. Also, use all dials, switches and buttons (in case one of them is "stuck" in between positions or has a bit of oxidation under it causing a connection problem).

I've had the first frame black symptoms with my 5D from time to time, and I've never bothered to send it in. I just clean the battery contacts and lens mount contacts, then take a bunch of photos in continuous mode to "loosen it up", and it works just fine for months after that process.

It could also be anti-shake related (the clicking noises lead me to believe that could be your issue). Try it with AS turned off and see what you get.

If you want to send it in for service, go to this page and click on Konica Minolta. That will allow you to select the Maxxum 7D from a drop down list of cameras. When you fill out the rest (purchase date, your zip code), it will take you to another page with more options:

http://eservice.sony.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:34 PM   #3

Jim - thanks for your response. I have experience the first black frame issue in the past - after the warranty was up, of course. I wasn't aware that they were repairing cameras that were out of warranty. Usually, when it had happened, the first frame would be black and I didn't have to do anything - the rest of the frames were fine.

I played around with camera for about an hour tonight - with no luck. I just tried turning it on now and it works fine - no first black frame either. Of course, tomorrow it'll probably have the problem again.

Do you think that it has become a severe black frame problem?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Administrator

I dunno. It could just be dirty battery or lens contacts, or your batteries may not be providing enough juice under load if they're a few years old now (and camera startup would probably tax them more).

If you've had a First Frame Black issue and have not sent the camera in for service, I'd probably contact Sony and let them repair it (giving them that as a symptom). I think the 7D diagnostic software can see an error code if a camera has that problem. I don't know if they still have any parts left though.

Here's a service bulletin put out by KM about it:

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/informat...202/01_en.html

Sony has been honoring it (no charge to fix that issue), since they took over repair issues for these cameras (they use a third party repair facility to fix them). But, they have been out of parts from time to time in the past (and simply offered a pro rated buyback when they couldn't repair one due to parts issues). Lately, I haven't seen anyone asking about 7D repair. So, I don't know how they're currently handling it (or if they still have the needed parts).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 8:40 AM   #5

Thanks Jim. I did clean everything again last night. It worked again this morning but I'm going to take your advice and call Sony regarding the black frame which, of course, is not happening right now.