Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:44 PM   #11

Default Advice on this lens`

Hi. Guys. I forgot to ask about this lens

SONY DT 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ZOOM ALPHA

Please advise. Thank you.
minieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:50 PM   #12

for serious sports look at the Sony A700

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieb View Post
Hi. Guys. I forgot to ask about this lens

SONY DT 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 ZOOM ALPHA

Please advise. Thank you.
No. It is soft, has a lot of chromatic aberration and is slow to focus on action.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:19 PM   #14

Quote:
He stated that I would be better off upgrading from a Sony A100 to the Sony A300 ...
All the Sony dLSRs since the A100 have a significantly faster autofocus motor, but if the lens you use has it's own autofocus motor (like the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM or the Sony 70-200/2.8 SSM) then you won't notice the difference.

Quote:
Should I be looking more at the body of the camera instead of looking for a faster lens. If I did upgrad the body would the F/4.5-5.6 still be good enough?
For night sports, you'll need a large aperture zoom (f/2.8). If you go with the Sigma or Sony, you won't notice any difference in the autofocus speed. If you go with the Tamron, you'll see a difference.

For outdoor daylight sports, you should have something out to 300mm, and if it doesn't have its own autofocus motor, you'll benefit from upgrading the camera body as well.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
All the Sony dLSRs since the A100 have a significantly faster autofocus motor, but if the lens you use has it's own autofocus motor (like the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM or the Sony 70-200/2.8 SSM) then you won't notice the difference.
Speed of focus in only one part of the equation. The other part is the 'brains' behind the focus. The focus algorithms and the predictive focus control in the camera itself. I'm not familiar enough with Sony to say whether the A300 has upgraded focus algorithms or not. To date, the only body in Sony's lineup I've seen action photos from that suggests this is the A700. But it's worth investigating. Without doubt how my Sigma 70-200 2.8 (I owned one a few years back) performed on my my canon 20d was not nearly as good as how it performed on my 1d. Same lens, and in Canon all focus motors are in lens, but better 'brains'.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 3:34 AM   #16

So do you think this Tamron
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamron-70-20...3A3%7C294%3A50
NEW Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD IF MACRO LENS FOR SONY

Would be good for shooting football at night and without buying a new body? Please advise and thank you all. I am really trying to ramp up for the season and since my son is now in the older division he will be playing more night games..
Mika:}
minieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:25 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Hi Mika, the Tamron is a nice sharp plans but the AF performance is not overly fast so you are better off with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for sports.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:01 AM   #18

I agree with Mark1616. The Tamron relies on the autofocus motor in a Sony camera body, while the Sigma has its own. And while they would be about equally fast on a newer Sony dSLR, your A100 has a slower autofocus motor, so the Sigma would be faster on it.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Would be good for shooting football at night and without buying a new body? Please advise and thank you all. I am really trying to ramp up for the season and since my son is now in the older division he will be playing more night games..
Mika:}
The harsh reality is - if you want decent results for night football you're going to need to upgrade BOTH lens and body. The A100 has very poor AF in low light and very poor high ISO. Night football is typically shot at ISO 3200-6400. Even with the Sigma glass, you are likely to be disappointed with the results you get. Realizing like most people you probably aren't made of money, you might have to look at this as a multi-step upgrade plan.

I'm not saying this to dampen your spirits. Just to set your expectations. I shoot nighttime football and it's a very challenging sport to get good results. My recommendation would be to buy the Sigma now and plan on buying the A-700 replacement camera when it is available.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:23 AM   #20

Yeah. That. What he said.