Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:17 PM   #11

You can tell because they lack the electrical contacts on top of the part that inserts into the battery compartment of the camera. The cable may store inside the grip until used and then plugs into the wired remote socket inside the little door on the side of the camera - the door must remain open (and exposed to the elements) while you are shooting, and is subject to damage (as is the cable) - some pictures show the cable extended, and only a few show it connected, but some do not show it at all - read the descriptions carefully. IMO the remote would be useful only during tripod or copy stand use - if that is the only time the grip will be used (for extra battery capacity and not vertical shooting), then there would be no problem.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:24 PM   #12

I hope it's ok to link to this, this is the one I am seeing on ebay. Nothing in the description about a tethered connection except that it is IR. It shows what looks like 16 prongs sticking up. Thanks for the feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Battery...3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited by oman321; Jun 9, 2009 at 3:29 PM.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
I hope it's ok to link to this, this is the one I am seeing on ebay. Nothing in the description about a tethered connection except that it is IR. It shows what looks like 16 prongs sticking up. Thanks for the feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Battery...3A1%7C294%3A50
You are correct, but note that it lacks the control wheel by the shutter button and the other function buttons under the thumb, so you have no control from the grip other than to release the shutter. If you never use those other functions when you use the camera in the horizontal position, then it doesn't matter. You have to be very careful when buying third party items that you haven't handled first - especially when they are really cheap - unless you can find a local shop that carries them.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 9, 2009 at 3:59 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:10 PM   #14
Administrator

The $699.99 deal for the A350 kit with a vertical grip appears to have sold out.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665508251

It looks like the grip by itself is now out of stock, too.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665304378
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:48 PM   #15

B&H still has the kit now rebated to the same low price. All other 350 camera offerings are gone. They and Adorama also have the separate grip (Adorama's price is lower).
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:34 AM   #16

You Snooze, You lose!!! Not this time

Penolta you were right BHPhoto had the same package after instant rebate on the 9th, but on the morning of the 10th the deal was gone

So just for the heck of it I decided to look at Sony's website again yesterday afternoon. I guess they found a stash of 350's because the package was back in stock

The downside was that Sony charges just a bit more for shipping and they actually charge your states sales tax, for MA that's 5%. So the total came out to just over 750.00

The bonus is that they just started running a promotion yesterday 6/10 of a $150.00 credit to your card on your first purchase over $299.00 when you apply and get the Sony Playstation card. They have another credit card offer, this was their second offer. So technically I am getting this package with the 14.2MP 350 for $603.00 I had to jump on it. So in about 5 days or so I should have my new 350 with 2 kit lens' and vertical grip.

Thanks for your patience and help.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:59 AM   #17

I believe the interest rate on the Sony credit card is 24%. You read the fine print, right?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:50 AM   #18

It is still there, but listed badly and hard to search up:

sony a350K hard bundle | B&H Photo Video
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:34 PM   #19

TCav,

They actually have 2 credit card offers the 24% for 24months no interest. Then they had a Sony Plastation Card with a rate of 10.99% which is the card that offers the $150.00 credit back to your account. The second offer doesn't come up until your ready to enter your card info an check out. Once I get the credit I will likely pay it off, although I believe I am also getting 12months no interest in which case there is no rush to pay it off.

Penolta,

Your right I had to search for Sony Bundle to find it on the second page of the search, where as before it was coming up if I did a search for Sony a350.

It worked out though as ultimately I saved another $100.00 bucks after shipping and tax.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:37 PM   #20
Administrator

Congrats. That bundle is a steal at the current price while supplies last (and it looks like they're sold out again at sonystyle.com).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote