Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Sony A350 bundle

Just got an E mail from Sony Style. If you're looking for an A350, now would be a good time. They have a bundle with the camera, 18-70, 55-200, and a vertical grip for 699 us. Here's the link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...060709:A350BDL
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:14 PM   #2

Unless I missed something they don't claim to be sending you a battery or charger for the camera, just the body, lenses and grip. That seems a little strange.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Unless I missed something they don't claim to be sending you a battery or charger for the camera, just the body, lenses and grip. That seems a little strange.

dave
Dave, after reading your post, I got a little concerned, so I clicked my link. When you get to the first page, click on the specifications tab and scroll down. All that stuff is listed. What DOESN'T come with the bundle are the batteries for the grip. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4

Wow...this seems like an incredible package for the price. I am so tempted to go with this vs. the new 330. The only downside is that the new lens' on the 330 kit seem to be of better quality (nothing quite definite on that though).

Also the new models have a more up to date GUI and the flash opens up higher, which I have read that with the older models it can cause shadow issues.

With the 350 I would have a higher pixel count 14.2 vs. 10.2, though I know the kit lens' don't make much use of the extra resolution.

Getting a vertical grip isn't something I had planned on, maybe in the future but since it comes with the package it would make for a nice accessory to have.

Aaaaarrgghhhh......What do you guys think. You guys have given me great advice so far and I know this is an individual type decision, but I still wanna hear what you have to say. Thanks for any feedback.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:12 PM   #5

It turns out that nobody was buying the vertical grips. Now that Sony is discontinuing the models these grips work with, they're practically giving the grips away. If you forget about the grip, the price isn't that spectacular.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:57 PM   #6

Ok, that's a good way of looking at it. I wasn't here nor there with the V-Grip and not certain how much use I would get out of it. I would ideally prefer slightly better lenses so I think I'll hold off. Thanks TCav.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:55 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post
I wasn't here nor there with the V-Grip and not certain how much use I would get out of it. I would ideally prefer slightly better lenses so I think I'll hold off.
Keep in mind that it's replacement (the Sony A380) starts out at $849 ($150 more than that $699 A350 kit, which means $150 more money that you could put towards a better lens with the A350 solution, not to mention that you wouldn't get the vertical grip with the new $849 A380 base package. ;-)

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665879096
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:29 AM   #8

Just when I was willing to hold off....Thanks Jim ;>)

Seriously though it is very, very tempting to hop onto this deal. I do like that the new models use SD vs CF cards as I have a couple of those already, though in the grand scheme of things I guess memory is on the low side of costs.

How many of you use a V. grip with everyday type shooting? So tempting.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:40 PM   #9

The package sounds like a good deal. I think the reason for low sales of the Sony grip may be that there are several sellers of Chinese - made clones (probably from the same factory as the Sony) on ebay at much less than the Sony price. I never used a vertical grip until I picked up one for a song for my Pentax at a Ritz Camera closing. I liked it so much that I bought one for my a350 - only I bought one of the clones from a reliable Hong Kong seller. It works fine, and looks and specs absolutely identical to the Sony except for the lack of the red alpha logo. Should anyone want to buy one, be aware that there are others of different designs, with wireless remotes, but unfortunately those grips connect to the camera by cable, so look closely.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:34 PM   #10

Very interesting, thanks for the infor.

I just did a search on ebay so I could check those grips out, pretty nice. I may be wrong (and probably am) but I can't see where the ones which offer an IR remote and capability require a cable connection. Is this definately the case? The first one I saw showed lots of pics and I could not see where a cable would connect. Even so it may still be a nice option, especially if they came out with one for the new models.