Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:38 AM   #21
TG

Some good tips from Mark & others about using continuous focus or using manual focus if your lens/camera AF is to slow. Mark has also spoken about shutter speeds. For F1 you can keep your shutter speeds up a bit higher due to the speed they travel at.
My only concern about your grandstand seat is how high the fence is, hopefully you will be able to shoot over it. If not it s really going to stand out in your photos and it makes AF difficult as well.
If the fence is in your way move to the top of the grandstand and see if you can shoot over the top (this what I do at the Australian F1 GP if I have a seat).
If you have to shoot through the fence get as close to the fence as you can, shoot wide open, use a long lens, all these things help minimize the mesh showing up in your photos (I use a Canon 400mm f5.6 L with & with out 1.4x Tele converter (sometimes stacked (2) 1.4x Tc's).
The sun is a real problem when shooting through a fence as sunlight hitting the fence makes the mesh standout in your photos. Overcast days are great but if it is sunny I try to shoot where there are shadows on the fence (a old trick is to spray paint the fence black, I don't think this will be possible).
Have a look at this post for some more motorsport shooting tips http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...otography.html

Here are a couple F1 sample pics

1/200 f8, ISO 100.
Shot over the fence last corner taken from back of grandstand standing on seat, used a 400mm lens with two 1.4x TC's (784mm).

1/250 f8, ISO400
Taken through fence on a cloudy day, got as close as I could to the fence. Lens used 400mm with 1.4x TC (560mm).

Last edited by TG; Jun 14, 2009 at 5:50 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:55 PM   #22

Thanks TG for the great tips.
I tried the 70-200 2.8 today at the store as they had it for a while and they still did not get the lenses mentioned above! the 200 wasn't long enough as TCav wrote.

So i think i'll look at the sigma 300 and the sony 400 and hopefully the sony will take TC too, "as the sigma Mark said it will".
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 4:02 PM   #23
Super Moderator

As far as I know with the Sony it is not going to take a TC as your camera is going to lose AF (Jim/TCav is that correct with a Sony) due to going down to f8. I'm also not sure of the sharpness of the lens at 400mm so potentially you are doing to go pretty soft with the TC.

You will get more range than TG does with the same length lens as you have the 1.5x crop factor of the sensor where as he only has 1.3 with his Canon 1D so you are getting some length back there. So for me it is still the 100-300 with option of 1.4x TC or the 70-400 on it's own.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:07 PM   #24

The Sony 70-400 'G' is an excellent lens, and is probably your best choice. The problem with teleconverters is that, while they lengthen the focal length, they also reduce the maximum aperture. The 70-400mm f/4-5.6 'G' with a 1.4X TC becomes a 98-560mm f/5.6-8.0. Sony dSLRs won't try to autofocus any lens with a maximum aperture smaller than f/7.1.

But few 1.4X TCs are chipped, and so don't report the corrected focal length and aperture information. The result is that, with an unchipped TC, the camera won't know not to try to autofocus with the longer, dimmer lens. It may work if there's enough light, and you could bring one to try out, but I wouldn't count on it. To my knowledge, the Sony TCs will fit the 70-400 but won't autofocus because they're chipped. The Kenko Pro and Tamron SP TCs are not chipped, but they may not fit. The generic Kenko (and sold under a variety of brand names) may or may not be chipped, but they will all fit, though they aren't up to the same quality standards as the 70-400.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:40 PM   #25

I used the Kenko 1.4 pro on my Sony 70-400 and it worked just fine. Auto focus worked fine, but it was a clear sunny day.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 1:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fossil View Post
I used the Kenko 1.4 pro on my Sony 70-400 and it worked just fine. Auto focus worked fine, but it was a clear sunny day.
Flying Fossil, can you tell me how is the zoom on the Sony 70-200 lens and the over all performance of it?
and can you post some photos taken by you?

Thanks
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa4real007 View Post
Flying Fossil, can you tell me how is the zoom on the Sony 70-200 lens and the over all performance of it?

Thanks
I don't have the 70-200, it is the 70-400mmG. I have a few shots here in the forums.
Here is one. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...-hybiscus.html
scroll to the bottom of the page. It is the last entry.

I am very pleased thus far with the lens. It is quiet, sharp at every lenght I have tried so far, great color.
It is a bit on the heavy side, but metal and glass tends to do that.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa4real007 View Post

Thanks
Here are a couple of wild Parrot's
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...d-parrots.html