Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:30 AM   #11

My SAL18-250mm stays on my A-700 almost all the time. It has (in my humble opinion) very good IQ and is easy to handle and carry, great range versatility.

If I go indoors, it's the Minolta 50mm f/1.8

For birding and some outdoor sports I use the SAL70-400mmG and rarely attach a Kenko TC1.4, which by the way does auto focus.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fossil View Post
My SAL18-250mm stays on my A-700 almost all the time. It has (in my humble opinion) very good IQ and is easy to handle and carry, great range versatility.

If I go indoors, it's the Minolta 50mm f/1.8

For birding and some outdoor sports I use the SAL70-400mmG and rarely attach a Kenko TC1.4, which by the way does auto focus.
A single lens approach, especially with something as big as the 18-250, is usually a lot more fun for the photographer (and the wife/husband who has to carry the photo bag while the photographer is running off taking pics).
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:21 PM   #13

Of course, the answer is that it depends on the type of photos that you like. In the past, I seldom used my 24-85; I was usually using a 18mm/f3.5 or 24/2.0 fixed for landscape or architectural. With the arrival of kids however, my wife much prefers the flexibility of the zoom and it has become the workhorse lens.

For portrait work, my Tamron 90/f2.5 is my favourite since it lets me isolate my subject. My wife hates this one since it makes her move back! (With the 1.5x crop factor, I find it a bit too long too.

Now that I've switched from 35mm film to my 7D with the 1.5x crop-factor, the 18mm isn't adequate for landscape and I'm finally going to make a concerted effort to get spousal approval for 10-24. If it is crisp at 12-20mm, then I'll be very happy. (I'm just doing my research now - hence the earlier post about the Tamron 10-24)
KeithHanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:58 PM   #14

It's been a loooong while since last visiting here... Nice changes.

For me, my Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 stays on the 5D 80% of the time... my beercan gets the other 20% of the action. The Sigma is admittedly a bit soft wide open, but it was a great e-bay find and quite versatile.

~Aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:55 PM   #15

JimC-

Aren't you using a KM F 2.0 lens? When I had my KM 5D, I had a Sigma 18-125mm lens that I used as a very convenient "walk around" lens. It was an inexpensive lens covering a nice range, with decent sharpness.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:51 PM   #16
Administrator

Sarah, I just now noticed your post in this thread. I don't read every single post here. ;-)

Which f/2.0 lens? ;-)

I've got more than one Minolta AF lens with f/2 available, including the Minolta 28mm f/2 and 100mm f/2. I use both of them on a frequent basis (for example, the last time I went downtown, I had a Minolta 28mm f/2 AF lens on my Sony A700). It's small, light, sharp and bright. The 100mm f/2 is superb. You really couldn't ask for much more from an Image Quality perspective. It's great for live music, theater, dance recitals, portraits when you want outstanding bokeh, etc. The 100mm f/2 AF lens isn't the cheapest lens you can find with 100mm available. But, it's one of the best you'll find from any camera manufacturer.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:49 PM   #17

I just purchased a Minolta 50mm f1.7 and like it a lot! Earlier this year I got the 18-125mm that Sarah mentioned and took it on a trip to Ireland. It seemed to cover all my needs and is a good "walk around" lens for cheap money.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:32 AM   #18

Don-

I purchased my Sigma 18-125mm lens on E-Bay for a sweet price. I find that it is just about the ideal lens to go on my Sony DSLR camera. I sure have a lot of photos from that lens. Your photos of Ireland are goregous.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:49 AM   #19

Thanks Sarah, I think I paid around $235 at Cameta for that lens.

Last edited by donp; Sep 3, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: wrong price
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:58 PM   #20

I just recently purchased a Tamron SP Autofocus 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) Lens as my main lens.
Grigs is offline   Reply With Quote