Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Having fun with my A200 + Sigma 24mm

Yesterday was a nice sunny day here in CA. I was a bit bored so I decided to spend some time in the front/backyard shooting "things" with my A200. The lens of choice was the Sigma 24mm. I love this little lens. It amazes me every time. It's razor sharp and the colors of the images are well saturated (but accurate). Here are some of my favorite pictures.
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:44 AM   #2

A few more...
Attached Images

Tullio
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:04 AM   #3
Administrator

I really liked your beach photos from this lens and these look like it's doing a good job, too. It seems to be quite sharp (and MTF charts I found for it at http://old.photodo.com agree). How do you find flare resistance shooting towards the brighter side of the sky?

My widest prime right now is the Minolta 28mm f/2. If I need anything wider indoors, I'll usually go to my Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 (which is one of the sharpest wide zooms ever tested by photodo.com, testing sharper than both the Minolta 20mm and 24mm f/2.8 primes). But, flare resistance isn't quite as good as I'd like when shooting outdoors in harsher lighting, and a smaller and lighter wide prime would come in handy from time to time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4

Thanks for commenting, Jim. Yes, it is quite sharp (no need to PP). I've had some Minolta lenses, which I found to be on the poor side in terms of sharpness, PF and CA. This lens handles flare extremely well. I'll post some shots when I get home tonight.

Tullio
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:09 PM   #5
Administrator

I saw some of your comments on a Minolta 100-300mm a while back complaining about how bad it was when you used it on an Olympus body via an adapter. Some of that CA problem may have been the lens worked with the microlens design used on the photosites for the smaller sensor used in your Oly, too.

Buy the latest APO version of that one. The Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO (D) has a super reputation for lack of CA.

The non APO versions are not very good (hence the reason the APO versions tend to go for several times as much). There's a reason for the price difference. ;-)

I like most of the Minolta lenses I have (28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro, 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6). Some are better than others in various areas, including CA and flare resistance. But, overall, they're all good performers. My least favorite between them is probably the 35-70mm f/4 Macro, even though it's sharp with good color and contrast (because it won't focus as close as some of my other lenses without using the macro switch and going manual focus). That's ironic for a lens with Macro in it's name. ;-). The kit lens is rarely used, too (but, it's really not *that* bad except for a bit of CA in some conditions).

The 24-85mm stays on my camera a lot as a walk around lens. If you look at MTF charts, you'll see that it's a sharper lens compared to similar lenses like the Canon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. The Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 has fast and reliable autofocus, too.

My Minolta 100mm f/2 is the highest quality lens between them (it's a super lens with great sharpness, contrast, color, flare resistance and CA control, even with the aperture wide open at f/2 in harsher lighting). It even tests sharper wide open at f/2 compared to the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G stopped down to f/2. It's got really nice bokeh, too.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:30 PM   #6

I used the Minolta 100-300mm with the A300 I had at the time and it produced real bad results. With the Oly I used my 50mm Pentax mount lens with an adapter.

Tullio
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:33 PM   #7
Administrator

Try the APO versions. Again, there is a reason they sell for several times as much as the non APO versions of the Miinolta 100-300mm lenses. ;-)
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:58 PM   #8

Jim, here are some shots I took just to demonstrate how well this lens handles flare. I haven't done any PP of any kind and I did not have a lens hood attached to it either. I tried to position the sun on a slight angle since it's the position that can cause most flares. As you can see, only one picture had a few blobs (but minor IMO considering how the sun was shinning through the lens). Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Jun 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:44 PM   #9
Administrator

The second and third photos look a bit "washed out" to my eyes, which is usually due to loss of contrast from flare (a.k.a., a veiling flare). But, most inexpensive lenses have problems in that area and you sometimes see that issue in very expensive lenses when shooting into brighter lighting, too (for example, even the relatively expensive Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens can leave a bit to be desired in that area). The others are a bit too underexposed to tell (probably due to the brighter sun in the images fooling the metering).