Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:59 AM   #1

Default hi folks

I have just bought a Sony alpha 300 kit, so my new hobby begins
not sure what I have gotten into as it looks like a steep learning curve.
the Sony was recomended by the camera shop and i got the last one in the shop in the twin lens kit format, i got the 18-70mm and 70-200mm Sony lenses, i would like to add a longer lens (help choosing would be good please) and poss a 2x convertor as i like taking wildlife shots but i am partly disabled. I have ordered a spare battery and some filters (uv and polarising)so all I need to do now is start learning the dark art
thanks
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:45 PM   #2

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a good telephoto zoom for ~$170. The Sony 70-300 'G' is excellent, but costs a lot more. For wildlife, you might be better off with the Sony 70-400 'G' which costs A LOT MORE. There are lots of other possibilities like the Sigma 50-500 "Bigma". There's another consideration, however, and that is that these are all big, heavy lenses, so the degree of your disability may influence your choice. (The Tamron is quite compact, however.)

As for teleconverters, in addition to increasing the focal length of a lens, they also decrease the maximum aperture, often to the point where the camera can't autofocus. So pick your teleconverters carefully. And they all have an adverse effect on image quality, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot.

Anyway, welcome to Steve's, and enjoy your camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:16 PM   #3

Hi Tazkb. Congratulations on your A300 purchase and let me be the first to inform you that you did yourself a favor by purchasing Alpha. You have a very nice line of new Sony, G and Zeiss lenses to choose from, as well an older (but still EXCELLENT) Minolta line of mostly used lenses (including G's and F2's) to choose from. New third party lenses are also available and many of those are no slouches either. Soooo, since you probably already knew this, I guess the next question is what type of wildlife? 4-legged wildlife that don't move much or birds in flight? Or very small birds in flight? What conditions will you be shooting? Is it cloudy a lot?

These questions make a difference as to what lens to choose (as well as how much you can spend). For example, if you live in a part of the UK where it's overcast most of the year, you probably don't want the 500mm F8 mirror. F8 and overcast don't get along well. However, if you live in Southern Californa where it's bright and sunny, you may or may not want the 500mm. It's a great lens when it's sunny, but you may not like the donut bokeh it produces. But you may be willing to learn the lens to reduce the donut bokeh for the sake of price (the lens in not expensive). There are quite a few long primes and zooms. Each can fill a niche.

Just off the top, if you want to use a 2x teleconverter, want to stick with Sony (not third party), and want to retain autofocus, then your choice is the VERY expensive (>6K USD) 300 2.8 SSM G with Sony 2.0x TC. 2.0 TC's a generally not very good as there's much IQ degredation, but I hear this combo works well. It should, for that much money. If money is an object, there are other choices, but they lie outside of Sony. I would dare say that most shooters using long primes with their Sony are not using Sony lenses yet.
Pheanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:03 PM   #4

thanks guys
i'm afraid money is a limiting factor now as i'm retired, the weather here is mixed so it's pot luck. I was thinking with the wildlife thing of most wildlife inc birds as well, i also like countryscapes or land scapes as well, i have dug my old tripod out and give it a clean and some lubrication and ordered some filters.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5

On a limited budget, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is an excellent choice, but you can only accomplish so much with a 300mm focal length. You'll have to be close for small birds and other critters.

For landscapes, there are many alternatives that are better than the kit lens, but all are costly.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazkb View Post
...i got the 18-70mm and 70-200mm Sony lenses...
The only Sony 70-200mm lens is the 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM. Are you sure that's the lens you got in your kit? I suspect you mean a different lens (like a Sony 75-300mm or 55-200mm). I'd let members know exactly what lens it is for best responses.

If it is the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM, you can use a 1.4x or 2x TC with it and still maintain Autofocus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:21 AM   #7

opps sory it was te 55-200 kit lens so i suspect not brilliant then,money is quite tight at the moment so the kit lenses will have to do for the time being, i have found my old tripod an old sirius 5000 which is a bit heavy but will do, i will check evilbay out to see if there are any good bargains
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8

If it is the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM, you can use a 1.4x or 2x TC with it and still maintain Autofocus.[/QUOTE]

Will these TC's work with the 70-400G which I just got. How about the Kenko Pro series TC's? I hear they will work also.

Thanks
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazkb View Post
opps sory it was te 55-200 kit lens so i suspect not brilliant then,money is quite tight at the moment so the kit lenses will have to do for the time being, i have found my old tripod an old sirius 5000 which is a bit heavy but will do, i will check evilbay out to see if there are any good bargains
The Sony 55-200 is a good lens, but it's probably not long enough for what you want to do. You could try it for a while and see what you think. As for eBay, the Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a nice, inexpensive lens, but there are several Tamron 70-300 LD lenses cheap on eBay, and those are not as good as the Di. Make sure you get the Di if you go that route.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:47 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fossil View Post
Will these TC's work with the 70-400G which I just got.
Yes, the Sony TC's will work with the Sony 70-400mm, but only if you use manual focus (you'll lose AF with them). Note that very few lenses will work with the Sony TCs (because you'll have optical element clearance issues). But, the 70-400mm is compatible with them if you don't mind manual focus.

Quote:
How about the Kenko Pro series TC's? I hear they will work also.
You'd probably be able to retain AF with the Kenko TCs (since I don't think they'll report corrected aperture information to the camera). But, I'd make sure to test any TC you want to use first, or find someone that uses the combo you're interested in (and make sure you get an 8 contact TC so that SSM continues to work if you want AF).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote