Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:40 PM   #1

Default m42 adapter

whilst browsing ebay today i cam across this "M42 screw to Sony Minolta Adapter"
hmmm I thought so after looking around I found some Pentax M42 screw lenses of the focal length I wanted for a fraction of the Minolta fit lens prices, OK so it would be totally manual focusing and zoom but hey we managed OK before they brought out AF and being as i'm skint I could get an adapter and a lense for next to nothing, what do you think guys
would it be a good idea I mean a 500mm cat lense for 60 brand new
it's never going to be mind blowing but I would imagine it should be OK also I can't believe pentax lenses are rubbish but the manual ones are cheap
all comments welcomed
thanks
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2

Manual focus. Manual exposure. No focus confirmation.

A new T-Mount Samyang 500mm f/8 catadioptric lens may cost as much as a used M42 adapter and the used lens you saw on eBay.

If not, and what you can find works for you, and you can handle it, go for it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:16 AM   #3

not sure I understood that, are you saying i can get a very cheap 500mm cat lens that has the right fit for the sony ? tell me where please Tcav
thanks
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:49 AM   #4

It won't have the right fit for Sony; it uses a T-Mount adapter to mount to any brand.

Vivitar sells them under its own brand, but they're available from several manufacturers. Here's a few links to Vivitar's site:

http://www.vivitar.com/products.php?...71&dirprod=178

http://www.vivitar.com/products.php?...71&dirprod=179

In the US, they sell for $120 and $250, respectively, but don't include the T-Mount.

In fact, the Cat lens you're looking at now is probably a T-Mount lens. You'd probably be buying a lens with a T-Mount adapter for M42, plus a M42 to A-Mount adapter.

These lenses are sold wearing a variety of brand names, but they're all the same.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Administrator

In the U.S., B&H sells the Vivitar in a kit that includes the needed adapter for $119.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features

I don't what you'd find in the U.K. But, both these lenses and the adapters should be relatively inexpensive. Here's a reputable Hong Kong based vendor that stocks popular adapters (and the same vendor sells them on Ebay, too):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com

I would not expect the greatest quality from an inexpensive Mirror lens, and the doughnut shaped bokeh you get with a Mirror (a.k.a., Reflex) Lens is not the most pleasant, depending on what you're shooting, background type, etc. Also, these are fixed aperture lenses (only f/8 available), and you'd need to use manual exposure and manual focus. They're small and lightweight for their focal length though.

Note that the Minolta and Sony AF 500mm f/8 is the only mirror lens made that can Autofocus (unique with this lens type). Other manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc.) don't have one like it. But, the Minolta/Sony 500mm Reflex would cost you a lot more.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:03 AM   #6

i see what you mean, sony and even s/h minolta lenses seem quite expensive in the UK but then again isn't everything thing is I have a very limited budget and i would like a long zoom lens for doing some wildlife shot's. Being disabled makes it difficult to get close some times and having say a 500mm lens would be a great asset. I was looking through ebay the other day and saw quite a few dedicated M42 screw long lenses for very little money and thought it would do me for a while while I save for a dedicated sony/minolta long lens. using a dedicated M42 fit lens and a M42-minolta/sony adapter would therefore be a cheap way of aquiring a cheap long lens all be it totally manual (how did we manage before af ) and a little more difficult to use.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:42 AM   #7

just checked that B&H site and wow that would be a bargain over here, trouble is and I find this quite often is the shipping charge sucks big time, $53 is the cheapest
which is well over the top, I have purchesd things from the USA before and some times the shipping charge has been quite reasonable but some times it's more than the item itself, i think some places do it to put you off buying items if you live outside the USA, also the exchange rate sucks at te moment, last year it would have been quite a bargain, boy i wish I lived in the USA cheap cars, cheap boats, great guns, and huge plates of food, it's a dream world for me
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazkb View Post
I was looking through ebay the other day and saw quite a few dedicated M42 screw long lenses for very little money and thought it would do me for a while while I save for a dedicated sony/minolta long lens.
The Hong Kong based vendor I mentioned sells an M42 Adapter you could use (but, I'd probably research any lens you want to use to find out how well it works on Digital, as the optical coatings on a lot of older lenses leave something to be desired, with significant loss of contrast when shooting in harsher lighting):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...9&cat=0&page=1

They're a reputable vendor and also sell a variety of other lens adapters for Sony/Alpha mount bodies. If you search their site for "Sony Lens Adapter" (without the quotes), you'll find the ones they carry for Alpha Mount bodies like your A300.

They also sell hotshoe adapters that let you use flashes that have an iso standard foot. I'd get this newer model if you need one:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=275&page=1

I've got one of the older types like this one (no voltage protection built in):

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...cat=275&page=1

Both of those also give you a PC Sync Port.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:18 PM   #9

rhanks Jim
I really wan't one of the 500mm mirror lenses from that B&H shop if only there postage was cheaper, if i can find someone to send me the 500mm vivitar or one of the other 500mm and poss one of the well priced 70-300 or similar for a reasonable postage cost then i will be saving up for them