Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:09 PM   #1

Default first try out

well i had some time today so i popped into the garden and try'd my new sony A300 with the kit lens 18-50 i think
what do you think of the pic's
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

these are my first attempt so be gentle with me but overall i like the camera very much, how do i adjust depth of field ? i mean i tried setting the camera on both manual and apature prioraty and shutter but i couldn't seem to be able to adjust both the shutter speed and the aperture at the same time ?
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:07 PM   #2

Your images look good, the first one lacks contrast, which is fixable in pp. As far as adjusting aperture and shutter speed at the same time, it can't be done. You can change the aperture in the A mode by turning the wheel forward of the shutter button. In S mode, the same wheel will adjust the shutter speed. In the M mode, the wheel will control the aperture, and the combination of pushing the "av" button while spinning the wheel will adjust the shutter speed. You can watch the results in the viewfinder at the bottom, as you attempt to center the pointer on the horizontal scale. If you knew all this, then I apologize, I misunderstood the question. I hope I helped...Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:31 AM   #3

Thanks Robert, I did spend a few minutes reading the manual last night, shame I didn't do it first!
Life was so much easier in the old days setting things manualy, The thing is I was trying to play with the depth of field, but I think i have sussed it. The post production side is some thing I need to learn as I really am a complete novice with paint shop etc, I have several programs on my laptop but havn't decided which I am going to concentrate on, I know Adobe is the No1 choice but it's also the most difficult to learn and use. How would you suggest I improve the first picture ? I need some lessons ?
thanks
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:47 AM   #4

Hi Tazkb,

Just thought I would chime in and say that I like your pics. I am quite the novice myself so I cant really offer any advice, in fact my daughter has taken more pics with MY new camera than I have .
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:35 AM   #5

Pictures look good (but a bit soft for my taste - it could very well be my monitor, though). I'd either sharpen them in PP or increase the in-camera sharpness setting a notch. But that' me.

The A300 kit lens is the 18-70mm. The new A330 comes with a new re-designed 18-55mm kit lens.

As for the DoF issue, if you use Manual mode, then you can adjust both the Aperture and Shutter speed combination as you wish. However, keep in mind that since the camera will let you choose any value you want, you may end up with a combination that will wither over or under expose the image. To control DoF, you should use Aperture priority since this is the setting that will influence DoF (wider aperture=shallow DoF and vice-versa). The camera will then pick the appropriate Shutter speed based on the available light. Again, if the shutter speed is too slow for the aperture chosen, you may end up with blurred images cause by camera shake. To avoid this condition, increase the ISO if you can not increase the aperture (reduce the f value).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote