Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Difficult beach light

I generally dislike using flash, even though I have a good one (HVL-F42AM) which works very good when used indirectly. The other day my wife and daughter-in-law asked me to go to the beach and shoot some pictures of the grandkids in the dunes. I did, and they were both very happy BUT...I know they could have been better, so we are going again. This time I hope to do better (at least for my own satisfaction).Any suggestions are more than welcome, since I am brand-new to this kind of pressure!

Oh, yeah, I am using the Tamron 28-300. Would a diffuser be good out here? Some of the photos show a definite shadow, which is one reason I dislike using direct flash. But outdoors, you can't bounce it off the sky!

Thanks in advance, Robert
Attached Images

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:11 AM   #2

Here are a couple of shots showing the harsh shadows. Would a diffuser help here? Like I said before, I really don't like using direct flash, but outside you don't have much choice...Thanks, Robert

By the time we finished eating and got down the road to our spot, the sun was very low. Next time we will get there a little earlier...
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:09 PM   #3

Yes! A diffuser would work better. You could also use a reflector while the suns still up. A car windshield reflector works great.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:25 PM   #4

Thanks much for your reply... I know I need a diffuser, but after looking at the options, I am more confused than ever. I now have to decide whether to get a diffuser or a soft box. I think a diffuser is more compact, but a softbox might give better results. Too many choices!

Robert