Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Default a330 picture

OK, remember I'm an amature. This was taken with the 18-55mm standard zoom lens on AF. I did resize it, but did no other editing.

Last edited by cfbush2000; Jul 7, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
cfbush2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:13 AM   #2

Nice job cf.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:36 AM   #3

Thank you. I will post a shot taken with the 55-200mm telephoto lens that cam with the camera later. I also plan to write a short review, from a beginners point of view after I've used then camera more. So far, I'm thrilled with the camera.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:59 AM   #4

Your picture looks good. Looking forward to see images taken with your zoom lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:44 PM   #5

Here are 2 images with the 55-200mm telephoto lens that came with the camera. I resized them for posting here but did no other editing. Of course, I was shooting with AF on.
The first is with no zoom, the second, same subject, full zoom.

Old Jul 8, 2009, 1:56 PM   #6
Administrator

It's interesting to watch the auto exposure settings for cameras. On the wider shot in your last post, the camera decided to stop down the aperture to f/11, probably assuming that you wanted a landscape type shot with more depth of field. Yet, when you zoomed in, it used a wider f/6.3 aperture. My guess is that it wanted it to be a bit sharper compared to a wide open aperture with faster shutter speeds, yet staying closer to wide open with a narrower depth of field because you zoomed in more (assuming you wanted more subject isolation).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:56 PM   #7

Or...as you zoom in, the amount of light gets reduced (in this case, less sky, more green grass). The camera might have chosen a wider aperture to compensate for the reduced light.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:37 PM   #8

I'm not sure what sort of feedback you are looking for since you didn't ask a question. But I'll jump in anyways.

Regarding the picture with the horses and shed: ifyou had moved to the left and climbed on top of something, you could have placed the two subjects in a more amenable relationship. Play around with the depth of field and experiment.Take a shot wide open with the horses in focus and the building out-of-focus and contrast it with another picture with large depth-of-field.

For the former, you'll want less available light (or a neutral density filter) so get up earlier or wait for sunset - one of the two should transform this scene into a much warmer pastoral picture.

Since the horses will be moving around, see if you can get a shot with some of that nice old wooden fencing running diagonally.

Have fun with your new camera.
KeithHanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9

enjoy with your new camera
michaellee2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:59 PM   #10

It would've been nice also to see the background blured out and all the detail on the horses...I'm a newbie too, is that what they call DOF ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote