Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Actually, the A200 has pretty good write speed to media if you're using a fast card like a Sandisk Extreme III. It can shoot raw at approximately 3 frames per second until the camera's internal buffer is full (after 7 raw photos). Then, after the buffer is full, it slows down to around 2.1 frames per second (which is still pretty fast for most uses).

I agree with what Jim said (I shoot jpgs for the most part) using an extreme III Sandisc card is the way to go if you need to shoot long bursts of photos. If you use a Transcend 133x card it slows down to about 1.3fps as opposed to closer to 2fps with the sandisc card. I did a test of this when the local water rescue team had a swift water rescue class in May and I took 100 images in under a minute.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 5:56 PM   #22

if your looking for cheaper lenses, tell you what i do. On ebay i search photography then lenses the type in "Minolta" it brings up a dozen or so pages and i trawl through putting anything that interests me in my watched items, then i keep an eye on what the biddings like, i set my limit then use an ebay sniper and set it up for anything that i really want, some i win some i loose, i won 35 cokin filters for 25 last week
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:46 PM   #23

Which eBay sniper do you use (if you don't mind sharing it, of course)?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 7:37 AM   #24

I use Jbidwatcher which is free, i think from cnet or some where like that, set it around 5 or 6 seconds max or less, some set them for 2 seconds, I don't have a problem using them and i have been sniped many times, that's why i joined the band wagon.
Tazkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:28 AM   #25
Administrator

It's also cross platform. For example, I've got it installed under SimplyMEPIS (a free Linux distribution).

You'll see download links on the left side of this page:

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:39 AM   #26

Just wait, and 20-10 seconds before the end of bidding, enter a bid for the highest amount you're willing to pay. That will place you in the bidding storm along with everyone else. Sometimes you'll be outbid, but sometimes you'll win, and often it will be at less than your maximum bid.

If you try to manually enter your bids, jacking them up $5 at a time, you'll be outbid before you can type the amount.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 9:05 AM   #27
Administrator

That's the whole idea behind using a Sniping Program. Let it enter your maximum bid for you right before the auction ends.

You can configure a program like JBidwatcher to enter the bid based on your preferences (for example, 10 seconds before the auction ends can work with a fast connection, but you may need to increase it with a slower connection).
Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #28

So the advantage of a sniping program would be handling multiple auctions ending almost simultaneously? ... or if an auction ends while your not watching?

You can enter your maximum bid in eBay. What does a sniping program do that eBay doesn't do? I've read the link, but it doesn't explain that.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Right, it's got lots of tracking and sorting features, and you don't have to be there, trying to time it so you're entering your bids right before each auction ends.

Just let the program do the work instead. Set it to whatever you're comfortable with for when it bids (i.e, how many seconds before the auction ends, with a fast connection letting you get closer to the auction end time). You would need to make sure your computer has a connection with the software left running. But, if you're trying to purchase items, that can be a lot easier than needing to be there to enter the bids manually at just the right time for each auction you're interested in (not to mention you'd be more likely to make a mistake trying to do it at the last second).

You can also set up a "Multi Snipe" to help you get what you want at the lowest price. For example, if you're looking for a Beercan, you could setup snipes for more than one auction and have it cancel the remaining snipes you setup within the same Multi Snipe group if you end up with the high bid on an auction. Just be careful they're not ending at the same time. ;-)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You can also set up a "Multi Snipe" to help you get what you want at the lowest price. For example, if you're looking for a Beercan, you could setup snipes for more than one auction and have it cancel the remaining snipes you setup within the same Multi Snipe group if you end up with the high bid on an auction. Just be careful they're not ending at the same time. ;-)
eBay already does something like that, but the auctions can't end within 2 minutes of one another.