Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:04 AM   #31

Default which lens

I am looking for a 50mm prime for my a200, what can I search for? I heard minolta, but what kind? Also, any generic brands you recomend?
Thanks!
justagirl1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:20 AM   #32
Administrator

You've got multiple choices available.

In a new lens, the least expensive route is the new Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT lens (around $149). It's designed with a smaller image circle for cameras with APS-C size sensors, so you couldn't use it without vignetting on a full frame model like the A900 without using one of the crop modes.

Sony also offers a 50mm f/1.4 AF lens. It's designed for full frame sensors so it will work on either camera type (APS-C or 35mm film size sensors).

On the used market, you can find Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and 50mm f/1.4 AF lenses. I'd look for them in the Minolta Autofocus Lenses sections of the used listings at vendors like http://www.keh.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by justagirl1980 View Post
I am looking for a 50mm prime for my a200, what can I search for? I heard minolta, but what kind? Also, any generic brands you recomend?
Minolta made a 50mm f/1.7 since 1985 that was quite good. Sony discontinued it when it took over in 2006. See 50 mm Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR and Minolta Maxxum AF 50mm f/1.7 Lens Sony Digital, for instance. (Don't let the high prices of the Buy It Now listings scare you off.) (This is the most popular A-Mount lens that sells on eBay. 20-40 of them seel every week.)

Minolta also made a 50mm f/1.4 that Sony continues to make under its own name. See Minolta Maxxum 50mm f1.4 AF Lens and 50mm f/1.4 Lens

In addition, Sony just released its own 50mm f/1.8. See DT 50mm f/1.8 Lens

If you're looking for a 50mm macro lens, Minolta also made a 50mm f/2.8 macro that sony also continued, and Sigma makes one as well. See 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens and Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG.

Also, Tamron just released a Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Di II and Sigma has a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG that you might be interested in.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:46 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
In a new lens, the least expensive route is the new Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT lens (around $149). It's designed with a smaller image circle for cameras with APS-C size sensors, so you couldn't use it without vignetting on a full frame model like the A900 ...
You can't use it on an APS-C size sensor without vignetting either.

From the manual for the SAL-50F18:

"When you use lens, the corners of the scene become darker than the center. To reduce this phenomena (called vignetting), close the aperture by 1 to 2 stops." [sic, unfortunately.]

See http://www.docs.sony.com/release/SAL50F18_EN_ES_FR.pdf

I never actualy saw a manufacturer acknowledge a flaw in a lens design like that before.

Apparently, it's not a bug, it's a "phenomena".
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:52 AM   #35
Administrator

Less than a stop from what I can see from tests.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1273/cat/82

If I'm shooting at apertures that wide, I usually don't care about corner sharpness/vignetting anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Less than a stop from what I can see from tests.
...which is less that the Minolta 50/1.7 did.

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...-minolta_50_17

Last edited by TCav; Aug 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM.