Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:01 AM   #1

Default My Sony a200 DSLR

Hi,

New to the forum, would consider myself quite a newbie when it comes to photography though still learning more and more each day.

Back from a 6 month trip around the states, passed through around 37 states (which is more than i could imagine almost every American i met around the way) I have some amazing footage that i took around the country, and would love to get some comments, and some help with photography in general.

My flickr profile : http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

those are some of the photos i've tried editing up till now, some are actually hung up already on Kappa boards after some retouching.

I've got the basic 18-70mm lens that come with the cam, and I've got some old Minolta lens that I got from my dad, from his old manual Minolta cam that are actually still AF, cost him $500 at the day, but still... would love to know a bit more about what lens could be better for my use.

I love nature and scenic photography, and besides some free street photography, trying to advance with my skills, and thinking of maybe taking a basic photography course at one of the local Tel Aviv schools that we have here for basic skills.

I would love to get some comments on what i've done up till now, and one of my first questions would be :

I've got a 8GB CF card, I've heard from some people that RAW format photography would come out to be a bit more cleaner and less blurry than a regular JPG, even though i'm using a very high resolution for my photos
(2592 x 3872) but still, printing on an A3 paper with a high class printer at a special printing place (not on photo paper) still came out a bit blurry, maybe it depends on the DPI that i was printing on, i printed on standard 200 DPI. what do you think?

Thanks alot,
Alon
ouijakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:41 AM   #2

Very nicely done.

Personally, I think you can skip over the basic photography courses. You've got a pretty good grasp of the tools, and what's more important, you've got a great eye. But some formal training couldn't hurt.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:15 AM   #3

Wow, very impressive.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:42 PM   #4

Job well done.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 5:09 PM   #5

Default Thank you guys

Thank you very much!

glad to get some compliments, but some actual specific photography experience charactaristics would help me out, where to touch up, basically I put my edge on composition.

I don't know that much when it comes to Focal range, and am thinking of getting new lens... if anyone has any good suggestions for what i could use with my Sony a200... woud love to hear some good reviews...

-Alon
Old Jul 10, 2009, 7:51 PM   #6

I would love to give you some advice, or tips however I can learn from you it would seem as I am new to this stuff myself. Hope others chime in but this area of the forum seems pretty quiet. You may get others to chime in the critiques and techniques area of the forum if you post over there.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:32 PM   #7

I can't help wondering if you might prefer a lens that went a little wider. It seems that many of your shots were at 18mm, and while they are excellent the way they are, it's hard for me to know now if something a little wider might have been good.

But you also seem quite comfortable on the medium telephoto end of the lens' range.

You might be happier with the Sony/Zeiss 16-80. It's a little bit wider, a little bit longer, a lot sharper, and has a lot less chromatic aberration than the kit lens you're using now.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:36 AM   #8

Default Would love to...

Well,

I would love to have a wider lens, it's like a sort of a wicked dream, but as of being a student and renting an apartment in Tel Aviv, unfortunately, my economical status would allow me to purchase a $700 lens, which kind of limits me with breaking out of the little shell, so i guess i'll have to break my knuckles on the kit lens that i got meanwhile?

any chance someone knows a place i could get those lens for a much more cheaper price maybe? tried ebay, but yet, no real luck with that i guess...
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9

If the Sony/Zeiss is too pricey, there's the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. It's got about the same range as the kit lens, but it's very sharp, almost a full f-stop faster, it's got a 1:2.3 macro capability, and it's about half the price of the Sony/Zeiss.

eBay is a hit-or-miss source. If you narrow down your search to exactly what you're looking for, you might miss something close. There are lots of very good A-Mount lenses that might serve you well. The problem is that, because of the APS-C image sensor, something wider than the kit lens will be hard to find. There are some good superwide angle lenses available, but few on the used market, and they're expensive.

You could also try http://www.keh.com. They are a big retailer of used camera equipment, and they have a good selection of Minolta AF lenses.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 7:45 PM   #10

thanks for the tip!

the site has some pretty good lens for decent prices, I could totally use that.
now i'll have to ask, what do we think about use lens? Risky? is the site trustworthy?

who rates the condition, the seller or the website?

and besides that, I was asking before, Jpeg or RAW, is there a difference in the quality of photo? or is it just easier for editing?