Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Default My New Camera (A700)

I finally mad e a decision last week with the help of TCav and Jim C of what do about my camera situation. I had an A200 that suddenly stopped working right before a major event. Luckily it started to work again after I messed with and then let it sit for a few hours.

That lead me to panic and almost buy a new camera....... it also lead me to think that I needed to get a back-up or a new camera and make the A200 my back-up.

In the process I tried out a few cannon/Nikons for comparison (a friend of mine swears his life and his wife etc on the Nikon D90 so I just had to try it). I found the Nikons didn't feel right in my hands. I also tried out the Sony A300 (getting to borrow one for a few hours), the A230 (which is a dumbed down D-SLR that is less than my A200 lacking some things I would use in a weekly basis). I also tried out the A700 (getting to borrow one for a few hours) which felt right in my hand "without" a battery grip installed. It had equal to or better performance in all areas compared to my Sony A200. The camera was able to keep up with my action type shooting style and focus was very fast. The AE lock on a test made a nice 7 shot Panorama images when stitched in Photoshop Elements 5.0

So last week I ordered the A700 without lenses (using my A200 lenses) and a 16GB Extreme II card for it. Should be here any day now. UPS tracking says it will be here Tuesday.

Still have a Fuji S9100 as another backup camera. It has over 50,000 frames on it and I am afraid one day the shutter will give out on an important photo assignment.......

I will report back more once I get to test my new camera out for a week or so.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2

Congrats on the joining the league of A700 owners.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:14 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
So last week I ordered the A700 without lenses (using my A200 lenses) and a 16GB Extreme II card for it.
Congrats.

For future reference, note that the A700 can support much faster write speeds to memory cards compared to your A200. So, if performance is a big issue (for example, you want to shoot raw + jpeg in continuous drive mode), you may want to go with faster 300x UDMA cards in the future.

Rob Galbraith's database includes the A900. The write speeds to media should be roughly the same for the A700. These models support faster UDMA modes, whereas you probably won't see any difference in write speed going to a faster 300x card in the A200 from tests I've seen.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9652

Note that Transcend now has 600x cards out supporting UDMA mode 6 transfers. But, I don't know anyone that's tested one in an A700 or A900 yet.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/in...ail&PrsNo=1376
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:59 AM   #4

Congratulations! Let us know how it works for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:42 AM   #5

Hope you like the new camera, I'm still getting use to mine. Look forward to viewing some of your work.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:45 PM   #6

It arrived late yesterday.

I was able to use it for about an hour today to take pictures of the local new teacher workshop. So far the camera is working out fine for me.

dave
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:33 PM   #7

I was able to test out the camera on Thursday and Friday evenings -- using it on a water rescue drill on Friday evening (between 8:30 and midnight). I had to us ISO1600 for most pictures because of the lack of light and could not use flash and the pictures came out pretty nice for that high of an ISO.

So far the camera is performing very well. I always thought my A200 was great camera but the A700 is a little more solidly built and works very well.

dave
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:38 PM   #8
Administrator

Great. BTW, I'd make sure to turn DRO off if using ISO speeds that high with it. You may also want to check and make sure you've got the latest Version 4 Firmware installed.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:24 PM   #9
Administrator

You'll see links to the firmware in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ion-4-0-a.html