Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:46 AM   #11

The Minolta 28-80 is a very highly regarded lens. It's sharper than the kit lens you've got, but the range on an APS-C body is mostly telephoto, while the range of the kit lens includes a good portion of wide angle as well. It may be that you use the wide angle of the kit lens often enough that the 28-85 doesn't suit your style.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:28 AM   #12

I haven't shot with the kit lens since taking your advice and getting the Tamron 70-300 (thanks again BTW) And it was really over for the kit when I got the nifty fifty. But I realized I was in need of something shorter which is why I considered the 30mm. But if you say the 28-85 is a good lens, I will try to utilize it more you havent led me wrong yet. Matter of fact a girl wants me to take some pics at her reception this weekend. It does have a Macro setting, any idea what the ratio is? I did a quick search last night but could not find it. I will look again now.
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:55 AM   #13

The magnification ratio of the Minolta 28-85 is 1:4 (in "macro" mode), which is barely enough to be called "macro". See Dyxum.com's Minolta - AF 28-85 F3.5-4.5.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:56 AM   #14

In theory a prime lens should produce better quality images than a zoom lens. However, technology has evolved and there are some pretty darn good zoom lenses out there, on par with primes. I'm not familiar with the M 28-85mm but as long as you are happy with its performance, I see absolutely no need to invest on the new 30mm prime. Of course size is always something to take into consideration and the prime will be smaller.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote