Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Anyone looking forward to the

New Sony 30mm lens?
http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/onelens/afdt30f28m

I am. I am in the market for something shorter than my 50mm 1.7. And ran across this a couple of weeks ago. I was really excited to learn that it is a 1:1 Macro. And for I think , I read that it will be 199.00. Anyone else going to try and pick one up?
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:15 PM   #2

I think a 30mm 1:1 macro lens is a goofy idea. The 50mm macro lens requires you to be within 7.5 inches to get a 1:1 image. A 30mm 1:1 macro lens will require you to get within about 5 inches! At that distance, you'd be blocking your own light.

For macro photography, focal length is your friend.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:51 PM   #3

lol Just the type response I was expecting, simple yet informative. I will still get it. Although I was excited that a 1:1 macro could possibly be had for 200 bucks. Oh well I guess if I can get a new 30mm at that price, thats pretty good right? And also what is the benefit of having the motor in the lens of a prime?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 2:09 AM   #4

Just spitballing an idea.....

There might be a use for a short length macro lens for some specific applications.

For example, I shoot 1:1 to 1:4 product photos with the 100mm marco at 75 to 90 degree vertical angles with the product on a waist high display table, I often end up having to stand on short step stool to comfortably compose the shot.

The minimum focus distance of the 50mm is not short enough to eliminate the need for the step stool for the range of goofy shots (and the short focus distance of the 50mm would not have been beneficial {for lighting and other reasons} for many other shots that I must take).

I could have purchased a shorter work/display table, but I really don't want to compose products below my waist height (and adjustable height tables are just not stable enough for the range of products that I shoot)

So I have suffered with the step stool and the 100mm for those 2-3 goofy shots per week that I must take.

BUT a much shorter focus distance of the 30mm Macro MIGHT allow me to get rid of the step stool.

Maybe.

Am I going to run out and grab the 30mm just to get rid of the step stool that I use for 2-3 shots per week?

Not real fast. Most definitely not today. But in time I will seriously evaluate the performance of the lens, the cost of the lens and the inconvience of the step stool.

I highly doubt Sony was thinking of me when they designed this lens.

Most likely, Sony was figuring there was a group of semi-macro shooters (1:2, 1:4 even out to 1:10) who desired a low cost macro lens that could do double duty as a semi-fast, short length prime lens.

Are these potential customers going to be happy with this lens? Who knows. But at $199 I suspect a lot of these lenses will be sold.... most likely as an inexpensive short prime lens that can do some limited macro work.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 5:19 AM   #5
Administrator

Not me. I've got a Minolta 28mm f/2 AF lens for a shorter prime and wouldn't really care about focusing real close with it (it's minimum focus distance is approximately 12 inches). The new 30mm lens is not as bright as my 28mm f/2 either.

Another concern would be that the new 30mm f/2.8 Macro is a DT lens. So, if you upgraded to a body with a larger sensor later, you wouldn't be able to take full resolution images with it. If I were going to get a lens with that focal length limited to APS-C size sensors, I'd probably get a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 instead.

I dunno... The new Sony 30mm f/2.8 lens can focus pretty close (13 cm). But, if you're trying to focus from 5 or 6 inches away, it's going to be hard not to interfere with the lighting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:22 AM   #6

True. Perhaps, a shorter focal length macro lens might be a good idea in certain circumstances. But if you need a shorter macro lens and don't need the 1:1 magnification, perhaps the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 would be a good choice. It's got a good zoom range, a large aperture, it's sharp, and it does 1:2.3 magnification.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:25 PM   #7

The alternatives might be better

(OK, maybe a lot more than might in the case of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the faster WA Sonys).

But as I indicated before, Sony didn't design this lens specifically for the serious Macro or pro shooter. It might work for us, but it will be more of chance than design..... this is an entry lens... for the casual macro shooter (aka a previous P&S owner who thinks a lens with a couple inches focusing distance is the proper technique for Macro shooting) that needs a semi-fast, short length prime lens that sells for less than $200.

Watch how Sony markets the lens. Multi use, portrait work (individual and small group), low light and a bit of macro (most likely at ratios other than 1:1) will be heavily promoted. Oh, and the price.

And the lens will sell.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2009, 3:38 AM   #8

I would have been more interested in this lens if it were f/2.0, not f/2.8. It's too short to be a good macro lens, and it's too dim to be a fast prime. I don't care about how Sony markets this lens; I care about what it can do for me. This lens can't do anything for me.

Sony is supposed to be releasing a 28-75/2.8 lens. Since this is probably a rebadged Tamron, which is a very good lens, and the Tamron sells for ~$400, the Sony version will have the typical markup and will sell for >$500. The only thing the 30/2.8 has over that is the "macro" part, which is of questionable value, and a lower price which may or may not compensate for its limited utility.

I'd buy this lens if it were a full stop faster or more (especially more) than my Tamron 17-50/2.8, but it's not.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 5, 2009 at 7:52 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:35 AM   #9

Not for me either. I've got a Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro, which produces some pretty good images. It's wider and just as fast.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:26 AM   #10

I have the Tamron 70-300, Minolta 50 1/7 the Minolta 28-85 3/5-4/5 and the kit lens. I have no idea why I don't use the 28-85..am I sleeping on this lens? Does anyone think that maybe it will be on par with the 30mm? Should I be using this lens (especially with distances shorter than 50mm) more than I am which is....never? lol