Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:32 AM   #11

It says 1567 images and FINE (JPEG). I ordered this card off the internet. It starting to sound like I got a counterfeit card.
moloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Administrator

Yep... I think you probably got an 8GB Card of some type with a Transcend 32GB label on it.

With my Sony A700, I'm showing 2733 JPEG Fine images available after freshly formatting a Transcend 16GB Card. I don't have a 32GB to check. But, your results sound like it's only seeing an 8GB card. I buy my cards from http://www.newegg.com

I'd still check it with Testdisk using a card reader and see what it tells you, just in case the partition table is wrong (and it can fix that kind of problem for you). I'd probably try it with the camera and see what it tells you, too (since you don't have a card reader handy). But, my best guess is that you've got an 8GB Card.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moloss View Post
It says 1567 images and FINE (JPEG). I ordered this card off the internet. It starting to sound like I got a counterfeit card.
Checked with a guy at work whoes wife owns an A350 -- 1567 images would indicate an 8GB card in the A350. She uses an 8GB trascend card in her camera 133x speed and she says when formatted in camera she gets 1568 frames.

Sounds like you got taken. I would never buy cards off e-bay. I only buy my cards from newegg.com and never had an issue. Ok I did buy one at Staples a while back -- but as for the internet bhphotovideo, adorama and newgg are about the only places I deal with for photo gear (since 2005)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:26 AM   #14

I have a 8 gb card that my camera (Canon EOS D60) formats to 2 gb. It is not counterfit because my vista system formats it correctly (at least high 7 gb almost 8. I always thought when a storage medium was labeled with a capacity of x it was always a little more, not less because of the quirks of binary math, but that is not the subject of the thread)

When I format with my PC FAT32 it can not be read by my Camera which uses plain vanilla FAT. I can not get my vista system to format in FAT files, nor can I get my camera to recognize (at least in the formatting process) anything bigger than 2gb. Anothrer site refer to:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-73511-h...ston-flash-4-gb

But this site refers to a utility partition table editor 32(PTEDIT32.EXE which apparatently is no longer available to download

Any more ideas please? This apparently is not an uncommon problem
hoier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:54 AM   #15
Administrator

hoier

My suggestion would be to buy a 2GB or smaller card. Your D60 does not understand the FAT32 file system; and an 8GB card is too large to format as FAT (FAT16). The largest size you can use FAT16 with is normally 2GB (note that you can format a 4GB drive or partition as FAT16 using a 64KB Cluster Size, but not all hardware is going to work properly with that arrangement). 8GB is too large to format as FAT16, regardless of cluster size. So, you're better off sticking to a maximum size of 2GB when using a device that does not support FAT32.

You could also try to partition the card using something like the free GParted Live CD (making a 2GB partition, formatting it as FAT16, then leaving the rest of the card unused or setup with separate partitions). But, not all cameras work with a partitioned card.

IOW, I'd buy a 2GB card for your D60. That's the largest size it was designed to support.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote