Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:34 PM   #1

Default a350 formatting

well I got the camera but am having an issue with the compact flash card....it's a transend 32g 133x.....i formatted it, but my computer keeps saying that it needs to be formatted.....can't figure out whats wrong....any ideas?
moloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:28 AM   #2
Administrator

You posted this in our Sony Forum in the Point and Shoot section. We have a separate Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum setup for dSLR models. So, I'll move this thread there for you now.

How are you formatting the card? If you're using a card reader with Windows, you'll want to select "FAT32" from the drop down list of file system types. I'd do that, then reformat the card using the camera's menu choice for format before using it again.

After that (making sure you get it formatted with the correct file system type), don't use the PC for formatting again. The best way to format it is to use the camera's menu choice for Format. I do that every time I reuse a memory card. That way, I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:24 AM   #3

JimC thanks.....another question on the little tab that comes up it says the capacity is 7.32gb but my card is 32gb (so why the difference) also there is something about allocation unit size (what's that?) it has a bunch of choices but I left it at the default 4096 bytes....sorry for all the questions but this is my first digital camera and I'm clueless....thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:30 AM   #4
Administrator

What operating system are you using? If something is wrong with the way it's recognizing this device (or the partition table is wrong), then you may need to do something to correct it.

What happens if you format the card using the camera's menu choice for format?

If it's still reporting the wrong card size, I'd check to see what Microsoft Disk Admin is showing for it (assuming you're using Windows), in case it got partitioned somehow. You should be able to delete any existing partitions on it, then tell Disk Admin to create a FAT32 partition using the entire card and format it. I'd let us know what Operating System you're using for better responses (and what happens if you format the card using the camera's menu choice for format).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Administrator

P.S.

Under Vista, go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. Then, you'll see all drives in your system with a graphical representation of any partitions on them (scroll down and you can see the graphics below the list of drives). Then, if you right click on a partition, you can remove it (Remove Volume choice). Then, right click on the unused space and it should give you the option of creating a new FAT32 partition and formatting it.

If you run into any issues with Disk Management not correctly recognizing the card size, you can use TestDisk (free) to analyze the card and recreate the MBR with the correct size information. Then, format it as FAT32 using Windows.

If you're not using Vista, I'd let members know what Operating System you are using.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6

I was able to succesfully format the disk with the computer then format the disk with the camera. The computer now recognizes the camera and I was able to download the pictures to the computer. I am still concerned about the disk size. It is still reading 7.38 GB when it is supposed to be 32 GB. I am using Vista. I went to the disk manager and it says 7.38GB FAT32 Healthy primary partition. Does that mean it has one primary partition?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Administrator

CompactFlash cards are not usually partitioned, with the entire card formatted as FAT32 (which will show up as a single primary partition in Vista Disk Management). That sounds very odd (showing 7.38GB). I'd suspect you have a mislabled 8GB versus 32GB Card). Do you see the option to remove the volume in Disk Managment if you right click on it? If so, I'd try removing anything you see on it and let it format the entire card as FAT32.

If it still doesn't show up correctly, I'd let TestDisk analyze it and see what it tells you.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Administrator

P.S.

You are using a card reader, right? If you're trying to use the Camera as a reader, that could be the source of your issues.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:00 AM   #9

No I don't have a card reader. I have the camera hooked to the computer via a USB cable. Should I still try the TestDisk or you think the problem is I have the camera hooked to the PC?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Administrator

I would not trust the camera as a reader.

If you format the card using the camera's menu choice for format, how many photos does it show you are available (press the Display button to see)?

What image type are using (JPEG Fine, JPEG Extra Fine, CRAW + JPEG, etc.)?

You should be able to tell if it's seeing 32GB by the number of photos available for a given image type.