Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellee2222 View Post
huh...the new modal so dumbed down .....how ar....on monday already wanna to decide...
The newer models (A230/A330/A380) are lacking in some of the more esoteric features that were in earlier models, which also lacked some of the more esoteric features that were in even earlier models. Not everybody wanted or needed those features very often, but they were available for when they were needed, and some people grew into them and grew to depend on them. For those of us who've learned on lesser models to watch this process over time, it's sad to watch those features be whittled away.

The new A230 is smaller and lighter than its predecessor the A200, but it lacks some of the features that some who've learned on the A200 would have missed had they not been available, even though they weren't particularly looking for those features when they bought the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The new Sony models (a230, a330, a380) are smaller and lighter than the models they replaced (even the A330 with Live view is lighter than the older A200).
Most importantly, the new models come with new redesigned kit lenses (18-55mm rather than 18-70mm). Although the new lens has a shorter FL, it is said to have better optics and produce better quality images than the old kit lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:49 PM   #23

thanx TCav
thanx tullio
helping so much on it
michaellee2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:02 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The newer models (A230/A330/A380) are lacking in some of the more esoteric features that were in earlier models, which also lacked some of the more esoteric features that were in even earlier models. Not everybody wanted or needed those features very often, but they were available for when they were needed, and some people grew into them and grew to depend on them. For those of us who've learned on lesser models to watch this process over time, it's sad to watch those features be whittled away.

The new A230 is smaller and lighter than its predecessor the A200, but it lacks some of the features that some who've learned on the A200 would have missed had they not been available, even though they weren't particularly looking for those features when they bought the camera.
These are totally new camera models, designed to be smaller and lighter (which many users moving from compact Point and Shoot models want in their first dSLR).

If a camera is too large and heavy for many users, it's going to stay at home.

Most people I've seen comment so far that have used the camera for any length of time really like it (better image quality overall, better Autofocus and more).

You've also got a totally redesigned menu system (with graphics designed to help first time dSLR owners understand how their camera settings impact things like motion blur, depth of field and more).

Yes... you're missing some buttons on the new model. No big deal from my perspective. I've got a little Konica KD-510Z pocket camera that I've carried around for years that uses a similar design concept (with most of it's frequently used features available by using the control pad or existing buttons).

That allows for a smaller and lighter design, without as much real estate needed for dedicated buttons, while still giving you fast access to the features used more often.

Also, keep in mind that Sony has gone from one model to multiple models over a short period of time, and will no doubt increase the number of dSLR offerings in the future (giving you more choices between the entry level models and the next model up). IOW, I wouldn't look at this model as being an upgrade to the older A200 model, or as being a "dumbed down" model in any way. Chances are, most photographers could take images just as good or better using it as compared to the A200. I just read a post over the weekend from someone that bought the A200, A230 and D5000. They decided to keep the A230 (due to better Auto WB and more).

I'd look at the new A230, A330, and A380 as Sony broadening it's product lineup, with smaller and lighter entry level models with a better user interface that many users may appreciate more than the heavier and larger A200.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:57 PM   #25

The new kit lens (18-55) on the 1.5x crop camera is equiv of a 27-82 film (or Full Frame) lens.

That range is rather short. Which can be a bad thing.

Might also be a good thing as so many beginners want to zoom in on everything they shoot.

Personally the range is too short for a kit lens, especially since so many cameras are purchased and will never be upgraded with an additional lens.

Would like to see Sony offer a larger sized zoom (such as the 18-250) as a kit lens option.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #26

I believe just about every entry level DSLR comes with a 18-55mm kit lens. It's the standard. Sony used to offer an 18-70mm kit lens but that has changed. As you go up, you find that some manufacturers offer longer kit lenses (up to 105mm). The problem is that an 18-250mm lens would significantly increase the cost of the package and that alone would discourage people from buying it.

Tullio
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:33 AM   #27

All by itself, Sony's 18-250 costs more than the A230. Sony's two lens kit costs a lot less and provides better image quality.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post
Would like to see Sony offer a larger sized zoom (such as the 18-250) as a kit lens option.
Option.

Just one of the many optional sets that should be offered.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:35 AM   #29

I have the A200 and 3 lenses (including the kit) and I also have a Pana FZ28. I find that choosing which camera to take along with me very much depends on where I'm going to (not necessarily how light I wish to travel). If I'm going to places where I'll be doing a lot of climbing and crawling (like visiting the California caverns in the Gold Country) or to the beach, I take the FZ28. It's small, light, offers great flexibility in terms of reach and I don't need to worry about swapping lenses every few shots in really harsh conditions (the last thing you want is to remove that lens from your camera right on the beach with a sea breeze blowing). On the other hand, if I'm going sightseeing around town, visit museums or go for wildlife photography (Zoo, aquarium, etc.), then taking the A200 makes more sense because of its better low light performance, quicker AF and superior IQ , which is a plus when capturing architectural details.

Tullio
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:14 PM   #30

Any opininions on the A230's basic kit for everyday shooting ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote