Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:56 PM   #1

Default alpha a230 and alpha a330

between the sony alpha a230 and alpha a330
which 1 is the better?
michaellee2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:39 AM   #2
Super Moderator

They are very similar in a lot of respects with the A330 adding live view, tilting screen etc.

Here is some more info and a spec chart for the range.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09...sonyalphas.asp
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:36 AM   #3

The only difference between the two is the 'Live View', and the implications that has on the rest of the camera. For instance, Sony's implementation of 'Live View' uses a separate image sensor in the optical viewfinder housing, which reduces the space available for the pentamirror. That means the image in the optical viewfinder in the A330/A380 is smaller than in the A230. In addition, 'Live View' makes the camera heavier, and the use of 'Live View' decreases battery life and the speed of continuous shooting.

But in all other respects, the two are identical. There is no reason to expect that one would take better photos than the other.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 14, 2009 at 8:45 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
They are very similar in a lot of respects with the A330 adding live view, tilting screen etc.

Here is some more info and a spec chart for the range.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0905/09...sonyalphas.asp
thank you
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The only difference between the two is the 'Live View', and the implications that has on the rest of the camera. For instance, Sony's implementation of 'Live View' uses a separate image sensor in the optical viewfinder housing, which reduces the space available for the pentamirror. That means the image in the optical viewfinder in the A330/A380 is smaller than in the A230. In addition, 'Live View' makes the camera heavier, and the use of 'Live View' decreases battery life and the speed of continuous shooting.

But in all other respects, the two are identical. There is no reason to expect that one would take better photos than the other.
for me the live view is not so important,so will think about the a230
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:14 AM   #6
Administrator

If you change your mind and decide on a model with Live View, Sony has a new Viewfinder Eyepiece that you may also want to look into:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you change your mind and decide on a model with Live View, Sony has a new Viewfinder Eyepiece that you may also want to look into:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
thanx for it...at the 1st i really confuse about a230 and a330,but now...
will thinking about the a230 and forget the a330...because the live view function is not so important to me...but by the way the sonly alpha a230 is worth to buy?is compare with a200
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Administrator

The new Sony models (a230, a330, a380) are smaller and lighter than the models they replaced (even the A330 with Live view is lighter than the older A200).

Some people like the newer design, and some people don't (preferring a larger camera/grip). Image Quality should be pretty close between them (although I have seen some users reporting improved Autofocus with the newer models).

You don't have as many external controls/features with the new models. For example, there is no dedicated AEL (Exposure Lock) button on the newer entry level models. However, they appear to be designed for easier one handed use. The new models also have a redesigned menu system with graphics designed to help you understand the differences in camera settings) There are pros and cons to any of them.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:08 AM   #9

really thanx with your helpful advise,because i dont have any dslr modal and dont want wasted too much money,my main poin having the dslr is capture the sweet moment,and i have feel the a230 for about 5min...really lighter...but easy to carry when travel right?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:16 AM   #10
Administrator

That's going to depend on the individual and the lenses used. Some people don't mind a larger and heavier camera. I tend to take a dSLR with me almost everywhere, and I'm currently using a Sony A700. Others may want to stick with smaller and lighter models (and it's not uncommon for some of our members to have multiple cameras).