Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1

Default I had a busy weekend! Couple of questions tho

First of all I shot at a wedding reception Saturday, first time and it was a blast!! It was a great learning experience. It was low light and I was using my Minolta 28-85. I was trying to make due with iso 800, but tried something I never had before, flash! It was only the popup flash, but it made a huge difference. Which leads to this question. When used in wide angle the shutter speed was 60 which resulted in a good picture, but when used on the short end the shutter was like 125, ad even with the flash the picture was too dark. What exactly is this, why does it happen and how do I correct this? But when I get the money, I'm going to get a good flash, I can only imagine the difference between the two. I wished I had some sort of diffuser, even though it was only the popup, I noticed that if I was too close, it made some faces shiny so i stepped back a step or two. On a side note ,the vertical grip I ordered arrived Saturday when I thought It would have been like another week. I walked in the house rushing to change pants and turn around and my son said you got a package, and it was the VG. I love it! I wonder why Sony did not make one for the A100. It makes the A100 look like a beast! Even the guy who was making a video gave me props when he saw the camera! lol. I wish I knew someone getting married this weekend, I cnat wait to try out some more things!
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:03 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I guess you mean the long end rather than the short end where you were using 1/125s that things were too dark. Most likely the flash didn't have enough power for the distance you were trying to shoot and along with that the aperture was probably quite narrow hindering further.

It could also have been the metering if there was a lot of white in the scene.

To get good flash shots you need a little more experience than just shooting but it is well worth it. You are going to find things easier and more pleasing with an external flash as you will have options of bouncing which will give a softer result.

Don't go entry level you will be disappointed with the outcome so either the middle of the range or top end if you want the power to do well.

If you have a couple of shots to share that will help us better advise what happened and what you can change.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:24 AM   #3

Quote:
I guess you mean the long end rather than the short end where you were using 1/125s that things were too dark. Most likely the flash didn't have enough power for the distance you were trying to shoot and along with that the aperture was probably quite narrow hindering further.
I was stationary, and so was the subject, so I dont think it was a power issue., the shutter speed was slower in wide angle, 60 compared to 125 in tele mode. but come to think of it, the f-stops did change when going from one end to the other so that may be what caused it. Ill post two examples when I get home from work this evening
antonlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 8:26 AM   #4
Super Moderator

OK, also shutter speed won't have too much affect on the main subject as this flash is a faster burst than the shutter speed, shutter, aperture and ISO will affect the background more.

When using flash indoors though I would suggest manual is always used which is why it needs more practise.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote