Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:40 AM   #1

Default Looking for some help with the lenses

i just got a sony a100 as a gift and i am actually enjoying it alot but i am looking for some good lens that i can use to take better pictures and as well some good portraits especially when i can blurry the background. will someone be able to suggest me a good lens and i am not planning to spend a fortune on lens as of now but need something for a decent price
bikermunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 7:26 AM   #2

I presume the lens you've got is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that comes with it.

To blur the background, you need a shallow depth of field and that only happens at large apertures. For portraits, you'd want to use a longer focal length (the long end of the lens you have would work ok) but the aperture needs to be a lot larger than what you'd get with the lens you've got.

There are a number of ways to go. There's the Sony 50mm f/1.4 ($370) and 50mm f/1.8 ($150), the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 (very similar to the Sony and about $250-$350 on eBay) and 50mm f/1.7 (about $100 on eBay.) There are other, longer lenses, but they cost a lot more.

A great deal depends on what kinds of portraits you want to shoot. For environmental and couples portraits, a 50mm lens would work, but for conventional portraits, something longer might work better. I think either the Sony 50mm f/1.8 or the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 would get you started for not a lot of money.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I presume the lens you've got is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that comes with it.

To blur the background, you need a shallow depth of field and that only happens at large apertures. For portraits, you'd want to use a longer focal length (the long end of the lens you have would work ok) but the aperture needs to be a lot larger than what you'd get with the lens you've got.

There are a number of ways to go. There's the Sony 50mm f/1.4 ($370) and 50mm f/1.8 ($150), the Minolta 50mm f/1.4 (very similar to the Sony and about $250-$350 on eBay) and 50mm f/1.7 (about $100 on eBay.) There are other, longer lenses, but they cost a lot more.

A great deal depends on what kinds of portraits you want to shoot. For environmental and couples portraits, a 50mm lens would work, but for conventional portraits, something longer might work better. I think either the Sony 50mm f/1.8 or the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 would get you started for not a lot of money.
yeah i think i will look into one of these lenses since i dont really think i need to change the body for no reason i want to pratice a little bit more and then move on to the newer body
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:12 PM   #4

i found this lens on sony website

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887588

will this work ?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 1:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikermunda View Post
i found this lens on sony website

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887588

will this work ?
Yes. That's the Sony 50mm f/1.8 I mentioned. It will get you started.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Yes. That's the Sony 50mm f/1.8 I mentioned. It will get you started.
thanks for all your help, i will go ahead and buy the lens but do you think i will grow out of the lens fast and then i will spend money again to buy a 50mm f/1.4 ? or you thing this is kinda of a lens that will keep things interesting for a little while
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:21 AM   #7

Quote:
thanks for all your help, i will go ahead and buy the lens but do you think i will grow out of the lens fast and then i will spend money again to buy a 50mm f/1.4 ? or you thing this is kinda of a lens that will keep things interesting for a little while
You may never outgrow the 1.8.

(I used a f/1.7 50mm on my Minolta Film camera for nearly 25 years)

Even if you do outgrow the f/1.8, there is as good of a chance that you decide you need a longer lens rather than a faster lens.

Considering the cost of the f/1.8, I think the lens would be a wise purchase as a starter lens.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 6:41 AM   #8
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind is that the 50mm f/1.8 is a DT lens. That means it's designed for dSLR models with an APS-C size sensor.

So, if you upgraded your camera body to a model using a larger sensor later (for example, the A900), you would not be able to take full resolution images without cropping (the A900 will recognize a DT lens and automatically crop the image to a reduced resolution so that you don't get vignetting because of the reduced image circle size a DT lens projects).

If you want to take full resolution images without cropping or vignetting on a model with larger sensor size, you'll need to stick with non DT lenses. If you don't plan on upgrading to a body with a larger sensor size anytime soon, then the 50mm f/1.8 DT should be fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:32 AM   #9

Quote:
... but do you think i will grow out of the lens fast and then i will spend money again to buy a 50mm f/1.4 ? or you thing this is kinda of a lens that will keep things interesting for a little while
If you find the lens useful once you buy it, then the chances are you will always find the lens useful. 50mm on an APS-C dSLR is a very useful focal length, especially if you have an interest in portraiture and/or available light photography.

So, except for the possiblility that you might at some point, upgrade to a FF dSLR as JimC pointed out, you will likely continue to find the 50/1.8 useful.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the 50mm f/1.8 is a DT lens. That means it's designed for dSLR models with an APS-C size sensor.

So, if you upgraded your camera body to a model using a larger sensor later (for example, the A900), you would not be able to take full resolution images without cropping (the A900 will recognize a DT lens and automatically crop the image to a reduced resolution so that you don't get vignetting because of the reduced image circle size a DT lens projects).

If you want to take full resolution images without cropping or vignetting on a model with larger sensor size, you'll need to stick with non DT lenses. If you don't plan on upgrading to a body with a larger sensor size anytime soon, then the 50mm f/1.8 DT should be fine.
Jim i am not looking to do a major upgrade to the camera body as of now and i want to continue using the same camera till i am learning the curves