Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It looks like we should add code tags for sarcasm:

[scarcasm]What a deal![/sarcasm]

;-)
My mistake. There's an emoticon for it.

Ahem.

$800 for a Tamron AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD! What a deal!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:00 PM   #12
Administrator

I haven't compared them in detail yet. But, there are probably some differences with the Sony lens (ergonomics, coatings, etc.); as is the norm when the same basic optical design appears to be used between some of the Tamron and Sony lenses. Introductory prices are not necessarily the prices that new products will stay at either.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:54 PM   #13

The difference is that the Sony model has it's own (SAM) motor.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:01 PM   #14
Administrator

If it's really any different than newer version of that lens in Nikon or Canon mount. ;-)

It's probably less expensive for lens designers to go with a common internal design (all with internal focus motors), versus needing to design and produce versions with and without a built in motor (as you see with some of the Tamron screw drive lenses for Sony, Nikon and Pentax models).

Since Nikon removed the focus motor in their entry level camera bodies, and all lenses in EF mount need a lens with a built in motor anyway, now that Sony and Pentax bodies all support lenses with built in motors, I'd expect manufacturers to try and simplify their designs by including built in motors in more (if not all) lenses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:17 PM   #15

It seems to me that α500 and α550 are the upgrade models for α300 and α350 users.

It is also interesting to note that among those new models (α230, α330, α380, α500, α550, α850) only the full frame α850 remains the support of Compact Flash (and Memory Stick). All other models support both Memory Stick and SD cards.

Also, the higher end models (α500, α550, α850) still use NP-FM500H (1650mAh) rechargeable batteries.

Does anyone know if tethering is supported in any of the new models?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony View Post
Does anyone know if tethering is supported in any of the new models?
The α850 is very similar to the α900. with the exception that it only shoots 3 fps instead of the α900's 5. So, if you can tether the α900, you can probably tether the α850.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:00 PM   #17

I am glad and excited with the new Sony offerings.

Now the "disappointment" release of the new a230/330/380 cameras "makes sense." The a5xx's fill the gap nicely and then some. Actual reviews are needed, but the a500/550 look impressive, and the a550 will probably be my upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:24 PM   #18

The A500 and A500 have the AEL button that is missing from the A230/A330/A380, but they don't have the Mirror-Lockup or the DOF Preview that are missing from any A2X0/A3X0.

Since the A500 and A550 have the same secondary 'Live View' image sensor in the pentamirror housing that makes the optical viewfinders in the A3X0 models so small and dim, it's unlikely that a DOF preview would be any use at all, but I'm still disappointed by its absence.

I was hoping for an A700 replacement. These are what the A330 and A380 really should have been.

Last edited by TCav; Aug 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:27 PM   #19

The new a5xx have the viewfinder size of the old a200 (which did not have live view). When paired w/ a magnifier (which I have) according to previews you get a700 viewfinder size.

It does not make sense to have the a3xx as an a700 replacement. One is coming, I am pretty sure.

I am really looking forward to the View Manual Focus Check Live View, especially on the a550 w/ the 921k screen (a900 screen). The 7x & 14x magnification on 3'' high definition screen should be tremendous help and a great tool.

And why not, I am looking forward to face detection and built in HDR.

Sony has some videos up at Sonystyle, and for whomever is interested, the a850 is already in stock!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I was hoping for an A700 replacement. These are what the A330 and A380 really should have been.
I have heard from BandH that Sony plans to start discontinuing the A700 this fall. When that happens I would grab one at its dicounted price and have fun with it. Its a great camera. I recently put it to the test and it gave me more than I expected. Its so much more than the A200 that is my backup camera.

For all the advice you have given me friend I will give you this get the A700 when te prices starts to drop and your never be sorry epecially when used with a 55 - 200 or 28-300mm lens.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote