Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:54 PM   #11
NHL

Another little known accessories:
http://alphatracks.com/archives/144

Wireless trigger for my HS-5600(D)
-> Double as a built-in flash but with bounce capability...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:57 PM   #12
Administrator

Yes. I've seen some superb Macros taken with Konica Minolta or Sony dSLR models using macro lenses at absurdly slow shutter speeds without a flash at their closest focus distances (i.e, hand held 1/10 second photos taken with 50mm or 100mm Minolta Macro lenses).

Yet, Nikon VR lenses don't work well at their closer focus distances (VR is of limited benefit), and Canon is just now releasing a Macro lens that should work better from IS at closer focus distances.

BTW, that's a Super Photo of the Butterfly. I need to try not to be a "gear head" as often and comment on the images more (but, it's hard not to comment on the gear when I see hand held images at 500mm from a 24MP full frame camera like the A900 with great color and detail).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2009, 3:01 PM   #13
Administrator

Yep... With most of the Sony dSLR models, you need to use the new HVL-F58AM if you want to control multiple flash groups. But, if you're using the Sony A900, you can control them using the new HVL-F20AM. But, note that the slave flashes need to use the newer flash protocol if you want to have ratio control with digital (which means using the HVL-F42AM or HVL-F58AM as slaves).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:03 PM   #14
NHL

This is for quick and dirty on location shoot, beside theses flashes are too weak to have an effective ratio

I'll use my skyport for the real stuff:
http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=187#content
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:11 PM   #15
Administrator

I need to look at skyport. I'm not familiar with their products.

As for flash strength... Gary Friedman has an article that takes advantage of flash strength limitations with Minolta or Sony flashes with digital here (showing how to get ratio control with digital via flash to subject distance using digital without ratio control features or the need to use manual power settings):

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

He's got a newer article discussing the latest flash protocol introduced by Sony in models like the HVL-F42AM and HVL-F58AM to allow ratio control here:

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/news...9-01/index.htm
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
-> Another thought about this 500mm is that I can stay pretty far away and get the shot whereas with a shorter lens theses Monarch would have fly off before I can get close for the shot.
You could stay even further using any other Sony camera w/ APS-C sensor and 1.5x crop. I am just (half) joking
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:41 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelos K View Post
You could stay even further using any other Sony camera w/ APS-C sensor and 1.5x crop. I am just (half) joking
I'm all for it imagine a lightweight image stabilized 750mm equivalent on an APS-C!
(and no bigger than a 24-70)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:47 AM   #18
Administrator

I wonder if you could get it to AF fast enough in good light using a 1.4x TC (something like a Kenko or Tamron that doesn't report corrected Aperture Info). That might stretch the ability of the double cross center sensor a bit though. :-)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:06 AM   #19
NHL

Actually I must tip my hat off to the Sony(or Minolta) designers...

-> The preview button
At first I thought this was a gimmick until one actually starts using the feature. Press the preview button and the camera snaps a picture on the rear LCD screen with all 4 pertinent histograms, nothing new here - The brilliant part about this is the 5 actual camera settings at the bottom of the screen: Shutter, Aperture, +/-EV, DRO, and WB which actually change the display as one adjusts each camera setting in real-time (with their respective histograms)!

The 1st three exposure settings are quite basic; however, the DRO and WB are something else entirely. Imagine how much Photoshop work theses two keys save... For landscape you can actually see how much shadow one can recover from the DRO before taking a single shot and for weddings how much highlights one can extract from the dress just by playing with the settings.
Long exposure nightlight shots WB which are always problematic can be adjusted instantly on the camera!
BTW if you need to do a DOF check, just do another preview a 2nd time, and the aperture you selected for the correct exposure can now be previewed with its DOF

Last edited by NHL; Sep 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM.