Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:50 PM   #1

Default lens

what would be a good price to pay for this lens... from sony
Click image to enlarge
Sony SAL-18200 18-200MM F/3.5 - 6.3 LENS
i can get this but trying to figure out if i should buy this one or invest in the tamron lens
lonefeather93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:46 PM   #2

This and the Tamron 18-200mm are the same lens.

Regardless of the brand on the barrel, it's not a very good lens. See SLRGear.com's test at Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DT SAL-18200 (Tested) . It's not very sharp, it's got a lot of distortion and a lot of chromatic aberration.

What do you want to take photos of? ... and what lenses do you have now?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3

thank you.. i was just wondering about it..
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:22 PM   #4

lone feather-

The Tamron or Sony 18-250mm lens is a much better choice. The Sony version is "tweaked" to operate a bit better with Sony's A series DSLR cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:22 PM   #5

well i went to the shop and talked to the gentleman and he gave me a 18 -200mm F/3.5-6.3 ld aspherical (IF) macro.. it was 350. but comes with a 60.00 rebate.. i have 14 days to return it..so im wondering if i got a good lens or should i return it. and go better.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:41 PM   #6

lonefeather-

Go to www.dyxum.com which is devoted to reviewing both Minolta and Sony lenses. There you can read, in detai, morel about the lens that you purchased. Personally I would be very uneasy with the lens. Much research will give you all the data you need.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:07 AM   #7

I used to own that lens, albeit with a Konica Minolta nameplate. Initially, I was satisfied with it, but it was the only lens I owned. When I started to push it, I became aware of it's flaws. I started doing more research and buying other lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges, and haven't looked back.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:19 AM   #8

thanks.. im looking at some other lens.. i just wanted an all around lens to use.. i have the 50mm and a 24mm lens, i just wanted a lens a little better then the stock.

Tclav thank you again..the sony a300 is a great and now im looking at the a700. so i can still keep using my lens.. my cousin wants to sell me one of her nikon d300 but then she isn't giving me any lens to use.. so for me to go out and buy more of those i just can't right now..

i was looking at the sig lens and was leaning towards them, but someone recomended this tamron. so im going to try it out for the weekend.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:06 PM   #9

To me, the question "Which 18-200 lens you like to have, the Sigma or the Tamron?" is a lot like the question "Which kneecap would you like to have broken?"

But that's just me.

Presuming you already have the kit lens, adding the Tamron 70-300 Di LD instead would give you better image quality, more range, and save you almost $200. If your issue is with the kit lens, the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 would be an excellent replacement, run rings around either 18-200 (where their ranges overlap), and would cost about the same.

An "All-Around-Lens" will be a stack of compromises, all of which you're stuck with, and which frequently cost more that multiple lenses of less ambitious zoom ranges.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 2:24 PM   #10

The Sony 55-200mm lens remains an excellent buy at well under $200.00. It also gets excellent reviews.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce