Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:57 PM   #1

Default New Sandisk Extreme Pro Cards - 600x speed

Would the Alpha 700 support these speed of the new extreme pro cards in the link below? Is it worth it?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/14/s...e-hokey-pokey/
Chicagogirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:07 PM   #2
Administrator

Yes, the A700 supports faster cards (it includes support for faster UDMA transfer modes).

Note that Transcend also makes 600x UDMA cards supporting UDMA mode 5 and 6, but I only see 8GB and 16GB cards if you want 300x (45MB/Second) or 600x (90MB/Second) cards right now at vendors.

Here's a thread that was started by one of our members using a D300 (some the more advanced Nikon models like the D300 will also take advantage of faster cards). You'll see some posts I made about the Transcend cards:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...-cf-cards.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yes, the A700 supports faster cards (it includes support for faster UDMA transfer modes).

Note that Transcend also makes 600x UDMA cards supporting UDMA mode 5 and 6, but I only see 8GB and 16GB cards if you want 300x (45MB/Second) or 600x (90MB/Second) cards right now at vendors.

Here's a thread that was started by one of our members using a D300 (some the more advanced Nikon models like the D300 will also take advantage of faster cards). You'll see some posts I made about the Transcend cards:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...-cf-cards.html
Ah, great. Thanks Jim. I'll probably go with a 16gb 600x. I didn't know about Transcend either
Chicagogirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:43 PM   #4

I have an 8GB and 16GB 133x Transcend CF cards that I used for year in a Fuji S-9100. They were very good and never let me done. Shot over 20,000images on them. At the time Jim C recommended them to me when they were some of the fastest cards out there (besides the SanDisk cards) and it was a great investment. I'd still be using them but my employer bought me 2x 8GB Extreme III San Disk cards earlier this to use for work. The extreme IIIs are great in the Sony A700.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Been using a Transcend 8 GB CF 300x for about 8 months and it's fast. I also use an a700 and get 609 raw shots per card.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:35 PM   #6

Technology evolves fast.. But I'm puzzled the development over the CF. There are so many DSLR won't be even able to recognized 16GB card..

Can someone enlighten me the applications for such high speed cards and camera models?
s540201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:41 PM   #7
Administrator

File sizes continue to grow with higher resolution cameras, and some of us like to take a lot of photos without worrying about the need to swap cards.

If you're shooting raw (or raw + jpeg), the speed of the card can also come into the equation if you're shooting lots of bursts, depending on camera model and how fast it can write to a memory card.

IOW, you don't want to miss photos because you're waiting on the camera if it's internal buffer becomes full and it can't write to the card as fast as you're taking photos.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote