Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:35 AM   #1

Default Wide Angle Lens Question

I have the Sony SAL-1870 lens with the description from Sony's website as "it covers wide-angle 27mm to 105mm". Is this a "wide angle lens"?

I am looking at a Quantaray 19-35 mm F3.5-4.5 Autofocus Zoom Lens for Minolta (should fit Sony?) and am wondering if my SAL-1870 lens already covers the Quantaray lens' specs.

I would like to take pictures with heavy distortion away from the center of the image.

Thanks a lot!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:17 AM   #2
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
I am looking at a Quantaray 19-35 mm F3.5-4.5 Autofocus Zoom Lens for Minolta (should fit Sony?) and am wondering if my SAL-1870 lens already covers the Quantaray lens' specs.
Yes it certainly does...

The 27mm is derived from your 18mm to 70mm SAL-1870 when adjusted for the cropped factor of x1.5 (i.e. 18 x1.5 = 27mm)
In fact the Quantaray is actually not as wide (i.e. 19 x1.5 = 28.5mm) nor as long as your current lens (i.e. it only goes to 35mm while your Sony does 70mm)!

-> You really want a super-wide starting in the 10-20mm:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...sp?navigator=6
http://www.tokinalens.com/products/t...16prodx-a.html

or even a 'fish-eye' if you really want heavy distortion:
http://www.tokinalens.com/products/t...107afdx-a.html

Last edited by NHL; Sep 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:23 AM   #3
Administrator

Your Sony lens is an 18-70mm lens. It gives you the same angle of view you'd have using a 27-105mm lens on a 35mm camera. This would be considered a lens that would cover the typical wide angle to normal range when used on a camera with an APS-C size sensor (since you have a wider angle of view for a given focal length on a smaller sensor).

The Quantaray you're looking at is a 19-35mm lens. It gives you the same angle of view you'd have using a 28-52mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Just multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see what focal length lens you'd need on a 35mm camera to get the same angle of view.

The Quantaray (a Wolf/Ritz "house" brand) is probably either a rebranded Tamron or Tokina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5.

Your kit lens would start at slightly wider, and go longer. IOW, it already covers the same range you'd get with that Quantaray, and the overall image quality of the kit lens is likely as good. So, I'd see no reason to purchase one.

What do you mean by "would like to take pictures with heavy distortion away from the center of the image"

Are you saying you want more distortion?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:04 AM   #4

Thanks a lot for the replies!

I'm beginning to understand the mm equivalence between 35mm (SLR?) and my DSLR's "smaller sensor" and learning about APS-C. I understand I will need a lens smaller than "18mm" called "super-wide" (vs. simplye "wide angle").

By wanting more distortion I meant the effect on landscape photos where vertical lines (such as tall buildings) near the edges curve into a circle whose center is the center of the photo.

Thanks again -- I'm glad I asked. You saved me $$$ .
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote