Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:22 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Thanks Jim...so much...I am leaning to staying with the 230...learning with it, and perhaps using the extra coin I would have spent on a flash etc. I am thinking my untrained eye would'nt really notice the difference (in the increase res..) Although I am pretty fussy in looking for clarity.
It's all subjective, and lens quality, your skill at taking the photo, and more would probably have a bigger impact on the quality of the images at most print/viewing sizes compared to a 14MP model. For landscapes in good light, you may see some small benefit at larger print and viewing sizes, provided you're using very good lenses. But, for most uses, 10MP is plenty. If you want better high ISO performance for low light use, then the 12MP models (A500, A700) are your best bet right now. There are pros and cons to any of them.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:46 PM   #12

Hi there, LittleJohn-

There is no denying that the Sony A-230 offers the biggest bang for the buck. If Live View is not a priority for you, as it is with me, the logical upgrade is to the A-500/A-550 or to the A-700 camera bodies.

If I were in your situation, I would stay with the A-230 and spent that extra cash on a good external flash and a lens like the Sony 55-200 mm lens which is a great lens.

When you are fully experienced and at ease with Sony DSLR cameras, then a move upward with a new camera body is the logical move. The bottom line is this: with the A-230 you get the biggest bang for the buck in the entire Sony DSLR system.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:57 AM   #13

I have never been a believer that more megapixels is necessarily better and I'm glad to see that the MP war seems to be coming to an end with most manufacturers actually reducing the number of MP on their latest models over the previous ones. With that said, if you think the A230 offers what you need in a camera, then the two obvious choices are the A230 and A330, with the difference between them being the live view. Sony has probably the best implementation of LV so, if that's a feature you think you would make good use of, then the A330 is your camera. Otherwise, I'd go with the A230 and use the saved money to buy aditional lenses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:58 PM   #14

LittleJohn-

Tullio's message is a good one. More megapixels do not always produce better results. For example, the A-230 does better at ISO 3200 than a 14mp imager would just due to the increase in pixel density that produces more visible noise.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote