Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1

Default grrrrrrr

the darn prices just keep dropping.......I am trying out the a230, and almost every week the price drops...what was a 'sale' at $580 cdn is now $498..

Questions of you...
does that mean another line is coming out?
When do they hit rock bottom?

Also the 350 is down to $600...is the $100 more worth the investment from the A230???

Grrrr.....lol
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Competition, supply and demand. ;-)

Prices will fluctuate.

Frankly, you may see some price increases (again) soon from some camera manufacturers. The global economy (currency exchange rates, etc.) plays a role in camera prices.

The A230 is too new to be replaced this soon. So, I wouldn't worry about that part. The A350 is a discontinued model now. The A380 is the newer entry level camera from Sony with a 14MP Sensor and Live View. You'll have to decide if the live view is worth it or not (as you will get a smaller optical viewfinder with models that have Live View from Sony).

The A350 is a higher resolution model compared to the A230 (the older A350 and newer A380 both use a 14MP sensor, which has slightly higher noise levels compared to the 10MP sensor used in models like the A200, A230, A330, and A300).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:27 AM   #3

Thanks Jim...well i want them to supply a good camera, and I demand they give it to me...LOL

Live view, I personally think is not a great feature. I do like the view finder, and I think its easier to use. So its not important.

But quality is and my question to you, even considering that MP isn't every thing, in your opinion...would purchasing a 14 mp vs a 10 mp be a wise decision today, assuming that the camera would be kept for a few years???

(I know..crystal ball stuff...)
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Super Moderator

also keep in mind that the 14mp is a discontinued model at this point too.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Administrator

There are pros and cons to the A350 and A380 versus the 10MP models.

For one thing, noise levels are a bit higher from the 14MP models. Another issue is that the higher resolution sensor places more demands on the lens quality needed for best results. IOW, you may not see any increase in detail going from a 10MP to 14MP model using something like the 18-70mm kit lens. With the newer 18-55mm kit lens, which is sharper (as available with the newer A230, A330 and A380 models), then you may see a slight advantage to the higher resolution model (provided you're shooting in good light, as this sensor tends to have more noise compared to the 10MP sensor as ISO speeds are increased). IOW, the conditions you shoot in more often and the lenses you use will also impact the best choice. Higher resolution is not always a good thing.

Personally, if I wanted higher resolution, I'd move to the newer A550 versus a model like the A350 or A380. The newer A550 appears to do quite well at higher ISO speeds from photos I've seen so far from it. Or, I'd move to a 12MP model like the A500 or A700 (the camera I'm using more often right now). Otherwise, I'd probably stick to one of the 10MP models (A200, A230, A300, A330).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:41 AM   #6

Thanks soo much that was helpful....a majority of the shooting I currently do is scenery..and I want to dabble in all the others. Obviously the better I get the more I'll do...

does that change your thoughts any?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Administrator

For landscapes in better light, then the higher resolution 14MP sensor may be a better choice. But, the 18-70mm kit lens is not going to be a great lens for one (you'd want a better lens if budget permits). The new Sony 18-55mm kit lens is a better bet. So, you may want to take a look at what's available in your area to see if you can find a good deal on a kit including that lens.

If you do decide on a Live View model with a smaller viewfinder, I'd probably consider one of these, too:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:53 AM   #8

when you mentioned the 380 at 14...that was what I was thinking. It come with the 15-55 lens...I was also thinking regardless of which camera.. the 55-200 lens...

the price diff between the 230 and the 380 is $250...hmmmm something to consider isn't it (I wonder if the improvements justify the $$$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For landscapes in better light, then the higher resolution 14MP sensor may be a better choice. But, the 18-70mm kit lens is not going to be a great lens for one (you'd want a better lens if budget permits). The new Sony 18-55mm kit lens is a better bet. So, you may want to take a look at what's available in your area to see if you can find a good deal on a kit including that lens.

If you do decide on a Live View model with a smaller viewfinder, I'd probably consider one of these, too:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Administrator

To me the A380 wouldn't justify the $250 price difference. Personally, I'd move to the A500, A550, or A700 instead if I were paying that much for a camera, or I'd just stick with a 10MP model instead if budget wouldn't permit one of the other cameras.

You'd get better high ISO performance with the other models (which is important to me). If you're shooting mostly landscapes in good lighting, and want a *slight* increase in detail for larger prints, then the A350 or A380 may make more sense. But, for most users, the 10MP or 12MP models would probably be a better bet.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:06 PM   #10

Thanks Jim...so much...I am leaning to staying with the 230...learning with it, and perhaps using the extra coin I would have spent on a flash etc. I am thinking my untrained eye would'nt really notice the difference (in the increase res..) Although I am pretty fussy in looking for clarity..

One thing I've learned here is that I will be buying a system, and in the future if I want to upgrade the body..I can.

While we all want the best for the least, the biggest limitation will be the 'lens behind the viewfinder'

(I hope I am on the right wave length.....lol)