Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:05 PM   #1

Default new to dslr's...

First off my name is Jeff. Over the last few months I've been doing a ton of research into a dslr setup. I'm thinking I want to get a body only, and the new a500 thats about to come out has a lot of features i can see nikon or canon trying to copy in the near future. I've read from just about every review that the lenses that come with the alpha camera's are pretty much crap, and its worth it to just buy another lense to use with it. So I was looking into buying a Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 , Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom. I've read that the Sony 75-300 is just a repackaged Konica-Minolta 75-300 lens that came out before the time of dslrs. I looked on ebay for the Tamron and I saw "for Canon" and "for Nikon" but no for Sony ? Does it really matter? Does this lense fit any camera? Also if anyone would like to suggest a lense that they feel would be a better fit or just additional lenses that they think are very good with sony alphas then please also post about them as well.

One last thing is about the a500, one feature I really like about it is the auto HDR setting it has, amongst other things. The almost $800 price tag was more than i was looking to spend on just a body only. Would anyone suggest a cheaper alpha body to go with with those lenses that would give close to the same if not better results, i know the 500 isnt out yet so its hard to see how or what kind of shots it takes.

Thanks for reading and for any replies
Tulasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:25 PM   #2

The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is better than the Sony (Minolta) 75-300, but not as good as the Sony 70-300 'G'. Each camera brand has a unique lens mount that is not compatible with the lens mounts for other brands (with the exception of Nikon and Fuji, or Pentax and Samsung, and all 4/3 dSLRs), so you need to buy a lens that has the mount your camera body uses.

The A500 promises to be a fine camera. What are you going to use it for? What types of photogtaphy do you want to do?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:08 PM   #3

Got it, I don't plan on buying anything just yet but that is certainly good to know. Thanks. I've also read about the "G" series and have heard nothing but good stories, so I might save for the 70-300G. I will mostly be using it for nature, landscape, wildlife and that sort of stuff.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulasi View Post
... I will mostly be using it for nature, landscape, wildlife and that sort of stuff.
If you're talking about small wildlife, 300mm might not be long enough. And for birds in flight, the Tamron might not focus fast enough.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:17 PM   #5

Is there another kit you would recommend? I've seen other Sony's such as the a330 that I like and I also like some Nikon's and Canon's. As you can see I'm in really trouble. I think a Sony setup(a good one atleast) is going to run me a lot more than if I go with Nikon or Canon.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulasi View Post
Is there another kit you would recommend? I've seen other Sony's such as the a330 that I like and I also like some Nikon's and Canon's. As you can see I'm in really trouble. I think a Sony setup(a good one atleast) is going to run me a lot more than if I go with Nikon or Canon.
When I said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you're talking about small wildlife, 300mm might not be long enough. And for birds in flight, the Tamron might not focus fast enough.
... that was independant of the brand or model of body you mounted it on.

The jury is still out (or more correctly, has yet to be convened) on the A500. As for current entry level dSLRs, Canon probably has a better platform for sports/wildlife/action photography than the other brands.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:27 PM   #7

Guess I'll go back and read the canon threads here. Thanks very much for all the advice and answers.