Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:11 PM   #1

Default Lens Help

I am sure this question has been asked and answered before but here goes again. About 6 months ago, I purchased a Sony Alpha 200 and intentionally did not buy any other lenses other than the 18-70 that came with the camera. I figured I wanted to play with the camera before deciding to add lenses. I think this was a good move as it made me focus on the mechanics of the camera and I have had a ball taking pics with my new toy.

I just spent a week at Disney World and I took hundreds of photos and indeed found the kit lens limiting in that I needed more reach a number of times. I cannot invest in the pricier lenses so make some suggestions of a mush have lens or two that are reasonably priced. I don't mind buying used so help a poor southern boy out!
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:52 PM   #2

Outhouse-

I use a Sigma 18-125mm lens as my "walk around" lens. I bought it used for $146.00.

Then I also have the Sony 55-200mm lens which is excellent and I was able to purchase that lens new for less than $200.00.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:56 PM   #3

There are a number of lenses that can be had for reasonable sums that can satisfy your need for more reach. In particular:
  • Tamron 70-300 Di LD ($170 new)
  • Tamron 55-200 Di II LD ($135 new, after rebate)
  • Sony 55-200 ($230 new)
  • Minolta 24-105 ($225 used, from KEH.com)
  • Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 (A.K.A. the "Beercan", $265 used, from KEH.com but frequently cheaper on eBay.com)
All are good choices, and of course, the more you can spend, the broader your selection.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:40 PM   #4

Minolta 50mm f/1.7

Minolta 35-70 f/4

Both should be obtainable for under a 100 each.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5

I am in a similar situation -- just starting out with DSLR with the same lens. I purchased a used 75-300mm Sony lens at Amazon.com. I am very happy with it. You can see sample pictures I took in my album.

I haven't tried buying from craigslist.org but one person online said he got his 50mm 1.7 lens for $30 (normally $100 on eBay) still attached to a Maxxum body so don't forget to check craigslist he says for your local listings.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:49 PM   #6

Based on some of the comments posted here, I purchased a Sony 55-200 off ebay for $100. The seller claims it was used once and they wanted a longer lens. The pictures show a virtually new lens. If so, I think I got a good deal. It was one of those auctions where no one bid until the last 30 seconds. I was simply lucky I think to win it at the end. Look forward to my first chance to use it.
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:04 PM   #7
Administrator

Congrats. Let us know how you like it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:25 PM   #8

Good luck with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote