Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #11

vvcarpio,

There's nothing wrong with DT lenses (or for APS-C sensors), they are generally much lighter. Currently, Sony offers α850 and α900 two full-frame cameras.

From my experience, ADI gives better results than TTL-flash in many difficult situations such as reflective surface.

I know that many (professional) photographers do not like flash, as they consider that as un-nature light. However, there are many ways that pictures can still look normal and great (if not better) with flash. Flashes in DSLRs can be fully controlled and are very powerful. (After taking a Flash Photography course, I like using flash more.)

Congratulations on ordering Sony 50mm F/1.7, and hope that you will like it. (I quite like my 50mm F/1.4 in many situations.)
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:02 PM   #12

Yes -- I guess you can say I was pretty deft at getting myself out of that one.

In any case, I'm glad to know I'm in the company of lesser-halves ...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:16 PM   #13

Thanks, Antony, for the clarification on DT lenses. I'm learning a lot.

My wife gave me a book on digital photography where I remember reading that even under a bright sun, there are times when use of flash improves the picture.

When I get my flash and am not too happy with the results, I'll think of what you said and remember that someone out there is doing it right I just have to keep trying.

Old Oct 3, 2009, 1:14 PM   #14

My Sony DT50mm F1.8SAM lens arrived earlier today. Below is a sample photo of my wife taken with the new lens. We were actually having breakfast when it arrived. Fedex online tracking showed a Saturday delivery date but I didn't know it would actually arrive today so it was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM. Reason: I changed the link to the JPEG file in my steves-digicams.com album. I didn't that can be done.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 2:11 PM   #15

One more sample from our frontyard:

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM. Reason: I changed the link to the JPEG file in my steves-digicams.com album. I didn't know that can be done.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:31 PM   #16

Default One more sample -- street picture

Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:16 AM   #17

Not to criticise the photo of your wife or your wife at all. It might be just me, but it seems like you did not focus on the eye(s) very sharp. There are times when manual focus may help.

Once you are over the narrow DoF F/1.8, you might want to play with F/4 or so.

Since you are going to use flash as your next step, I would recommend getting your wife a pair of glasses with anti-reflective coating if she does not have one.

Just my two cents.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 7:12 AM   #18

I think you're right. I'd like to say that it was the first photo right out of the box but it did not occur to me to see if I can control the aperture. (As you can tell I'm very novice...) Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I just tried different apertures to see changes in depth-of-field. I will try more shots today.

Thanks also for the suggestion on anti-reflective coated glasses. I remember the optometrist would ask us about "options" but didn't pay much heed. Now I know I would... .

Thanks also for the suggestion to try manual focusing. I will do all that. But it seems the main lesson when it comes to portrait photography is -- just as we do in life -- to focus on nothing else but the eyes.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 4, 2009 at 8:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention manual focusing
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:02 PM   #19

I hope this one is better -- I was able to have the eyes' pupils show. It's taken at f1.8.

It's still somewhat blurry, though. It's taken handheld supported by a monopod. Maybe a tripod and self-timer will be clearer...

Last edited by vvcarpio; Oct 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM. Reason: I pasted the URL by mistake instead of inserting an image...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:42 AM   #20

Default Taken with a tripod but I think the hair and not the eyes is more in focus.

I used manual focus at F1.8. Comments please.