Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:42 AM   #1

Default Used Minolta 50mm 1.7 or New DT 50 mm f/1.8 SAM?

I would like to purchase a fixed 50mm lens for my A350.

On eBay, used Minolta 50mm 1.7 lenses go for about $90+ (shipping included). From pictures and descriptions, these have "minor" scuffs, scratches, dings, on the body but the lens itself is clean and pristine with no "oil" or "fungus".

Those that are in "excellent" condition go for about $140+ on eBay. Still, the description would sometimes say minor scratches on the barrell.

At that price, I am leaning towards purchasing a brand new DT 50 mm f1.8 SAM for $150 from sonystyle.com.

Is the Minolta lens superior?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 29, 2009 at 7:43 AM. Reason: (added $150 price of Sony lens)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:52 AM   #2

PhotoZone.de did a test of the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 but not the Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT. [See http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...-minolta_50_17 ]

SLRGear.com a test of the Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT but not the Minolta 50mm f/1.7. [See http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1273/cat/82 ] Reading both is about the only way to get an objective answer to your question.

The way I read them, the Sony has less vignetting and is sharper at the edges and corners.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for the links, TCav. I see from the charts that the Sony has less vignetting. I'm new to lens specs so I didn't pay attention to these before. I am using DSLR but I'm really just pointing-and-shooting (with hopefully a good eye for composing...). I appreciate learning about them to improve my compositions.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks a lot for the links, TCav. I see from the charts that the Sony has less vignetting. I'm new to lens specs so I didn't pay attention to these before. I am using DSLR but I'm really just pointing-and-shooting (with hopefully a good eye for composing...). I appreciate learning about them to improve my compositions.
Sony also is a "D" lens and has less flare. All in all, better optically. The old Minolta however is very solid metal. The Sony 1.8 is plastic. Sony 50mm F1.4 is beter than both. Sigma 50mm F1.4 is probably best.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 2:36 AM   #5

Minolta 50mm 1.7 only has 5 pins at the end, which means it does not support ADI flash metering.

Sony's DT 50mm F/1.8 SAM has the new 'SAM' motor built-in, however, it is designed for APS-C cameras. It does not come with a 'hood' either (according to Kurtmunger.com).

I would suggest Sony 50mm F/1.4 if budget permits.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:51 AM   #6

Iím still all new to DSLRs so I looked up APS-C and understand from wikipedia that its sensor has a smaller footprint than 35mm film. So when an APS-C lens is mounted on a non-APS-C (larger format?) body such as film SLR then vignetting could occur. Youíre right, I might have sprung for the 1.4 if budget permitted...

I actually made 2 bids on eBay for the Minolta lens and lost. Iím now glad I didnít win. I didnít know about ADI before and reading about it now I think itís important. Iíve been married long enough to know how my wifeís mind works and right now I think sheís contemplating on getting me flash for Christmas...

(I really don't like to use flash. I like blurs to convey movement. Besides, flash often reveals many unflattering details on peoplesí faces like in a group photo where everyone is smiling wide lost in the moment and thereís food stuck in someoneís teeth. That doesnít mean however that I donít want to learn the techniques of flash photography not to mention adding yet another gadget to my toy collection...)

Thanks, Antony! I actually ordered the Sony 1.7 50mm from sonystyle.com yesterday. I shoot mostly people in close indoor gatherings like get-togethers so Iím excited for it to arrive.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:10 AM   #7

The Sony should work well for you. Good luck with it, and please come back and post some examples.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 9:49 AM   #8

I missed OneGuy's post earlier -- I thought Antony's was the only response.

I was actually introduced to the 50mm lens when my coworker showed me his for his Canon. He was telling me how lightweight it is. He already has the professional line 50mm lens and still bought the cheaper 50mm version on eBay. He said he doesn't regret spending 80 bucks on a redundant lens because that's what he takes on family vacations, etc., when he wants to pack lightly and still take good pictures. Thanks, OneGuy!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 10:01 AM   #9

Thanks, TCav -- I will post a sample or two when it arrives. I just have to first find a glamorous model to shoot .

This is not to say that my wife isn't glamorous. She's beautiful. Just maybe not everyone's idea of a miss-universe-beauty-pageant-glamorous-beautiful. She's just, well, beautiful.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:16 AM   #10

Go ahead. Talk some more about how your wife isn't glamorous, just beautiful.

It doesn't take much for us husbands to talk ourselves into trouble. Does it?