Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:15 PM   #1

Default Sony A330 Functions

Hey all. I tried searching but could not find any relevant information regarding my issue.

ok, just a little background first. I am a slightly new DSLR user that currently owns a Sony A330L. I've had the A300 but a friend of mine broke it so he bought the A330 in place of that one because they don't make the A300's any more.

So now to my issue. I've been using the A300 for about a year before my friend broke it. I've had the A330 since August of this year and love how much lighter the camera is. Everything is pretty much the same. My problem is when I use the "P" or Program mode for the A330. In the A300, I loved using the Program mode to adjust shutter speed in low light area's to compensate for a better picture. I'm having a problem with finding out how to adjust that same feature in the A330. When I go into the menu mode, I set the dial to be used as "shutter speed". So naturally, I would think that I could change the shutter speed in Program mode but I CAN'T.

Is there anybody on these boards that can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? or am I not looking in the right place? I've searched up and down the camera's menu but can't find anything else aside from that "shutter speed" setting for the dial. I want to be able to take better pictures in low light or "tricky" light situations by utilizing this feature.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Nautious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:17 PM   #2

oops. could you please move this over to the SONY DSLR board. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:35 AM   #3

Welll..it looks like I am the closest to an 'awake' Sony guy here

But I am NO expert, but I have the A230 which is the same camera...but cheaper and w/o live view.

The only thing you can change in 'P' mode is custom settings,ISO, Creative style, D Range optimizer etc

Shutter and Aperture are set automatically
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:42 PM   #4

Here's the problem...all old models (A200, A300 and A350) had a feature called Program Shift. You would set the mode dial to P and then turn the wheel to change either the Aperture (Pa) or the Shutter Speed (Ps) depending on how you had it configured for, and the camera would adjust the other value. At least on the A230 and A330 Program Shift is no longer available. They also eliminated the AE/AF lock button, which was very useful (to me). So, basically if you wish to control shutter speed, you must set the dial to S on the A330. Hope this helps.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Here's the problem...all old models (A200, A300 and A350) had a feature called Program Shift. You would set the mode dial to P and then turn the wheel to change either the Aperture (Pa) or the Shutter Speed (Ps) depending on how you had it configured for, and the camera would adjust the other value. At least on the A230 and A330 Program Shift is no longer available. They also eliminated the AE/AF lock button, which was very useful (to me). So, basically if you wish to control shutter speed, you must set the dial to S on the A330. Hope this helps.
If you use 'M' you can toggle between S and A..but it won't adjust the other..you have to use either 'A' priority or 'S' priority.

I agree with you as the 'new' P seems kinda useless..
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:03 PM   #6

Hey Tullio and Littlejohn,

Thanks for the great information! i thought that I was going crazy for a moment. I liked the flexibility of the A300 with that "program shift" feature that you mentioned. I guess that i have to work more with the A or S function now on the A330.

Any reason why Sony got rid of the program shift feature? just curious.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautious1 View Post
Any reason why Sony got rid of the program shift feature? just curious.
Who knows...it seems to me that Sony is stripping down the entry level models as much as they can hoping that it will encourage people to buy the more upscale models (A500, A700, etc.). That's my guess.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:50 PM   #8

Default Flashh

Hi i have a sony a330 and i am wondering if i have to use an external flash made by sony or if there are any alternatives that i could use?
mfbebbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbebbington View Post
Hi i have a sony a330 and i am wondering if i have to use an external flash made by sony or if there are any alternatives that i could use?
Welcome to Steve's!

(You should really start a new thread for a new topic.)

The answer is, yes, there are other flashes that work with the Sony accessory shoe. But Sony does not use the ISO standard accessory shoe, so you need to be careful that the flash is specifically for a Sony.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote