Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:27 AM   #1

Default new..A230 and 2 lens

Hi here are a few pix using the A230 and the 55-200 lens for the dog pics and the 18-55 for the horse pic.

In my eye..I think the 55-200 is much sharper. Is there a reason the the lack of sharpness in the 18-55?
Attached Images

littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:53 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It is impossible to tell at this size but the horse photo looks to be out of focus, the grass further back is seemingly sharper than the horses head.

If you can post some 100% crops of the sections in focus this will give a better idea.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:49 AM   #3

Hey littlejohn-

As you might already know, you could use focus lock and move to the desired composition.

Also, are you using a filter on the 18-55? As you know, I just started using a dSLR seriously. And with my skill, I can take a sharper photo without a filter even though I was using some top rated filters like HOYA HMC UV and B+W MRC ( http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html ).

Your dog photos are sharp!

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Administrator

From what I can see of the EXIF, it looks like your focus mode was AF-C (Continuous Autofocus). So, depending on what you were locked on initially, and what focus point was being used , it may not have been your desired subject.

It's a good idea to make sure you know what focus point you're using when filling the frame that much with a subject, especially with the aperture wide open (as that horse photo was taken at f/5.6 at a close range to your subject), because you'll have a shallower depth of field at closer ranges and wider aperture settings. My guess is that it was probably focusing on part of the body somewhere versus the closer head.

So, I'd make sure you are selecting your focus point (or know what focus point the camera is selecting if you choose not to) and I probably wouldn't use AF-C unless you're tracking moving subjects (and then, make sure you know what focus point was being used for the initial lock).

That horse photo also look a tad underexposed (dark). That's being caused by your -EV Setting with Exposure Compensation (you've got the camera set to where it's exposing 1/3 stop darker than the camera would have used without that setting).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That horse photo also look a tad underexposed (dark). That's being caused by your -EV Setting with Exposure Compensation (you've got the camera set to where it's exposing 1/3 stop darker than the camera would have used without that setting).
Anytime you use Multi-segment (Pattern) Metering mode, and the frame contains a significant amount of grass, that grass will determine the exposure. The result is that other items in the frame will be less important when the camera determines the exposure settings. Since the A230 doesn't have an AEL button, you could use Center Weighted or Spot Metering, or use exposure compensation as JimC suggested.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6

Those are some nice photos of the dog, I can also see in the horse picture that the camera chose to focus on the grass...Overall, very nice. Did you just get the camera ?
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It is impossible to tell at this size but the horse photo looks to be out of focus, the grass further back is seemingly sharper than the horses head.

If you can post some 100% crops of the sections in focus this will give a better idea.

Can you tell what you mean by 100% crops? I know how to crop a photo..but % throws me off???

But you touched on the one problem I've noticed is sometimes the AF focuses where I don't want it to. Particularly in 'Auto' mode. In this shot I used 'M' and the AF was set to AF-A and Jim perhaps touched on the problem as AF-A will attempt to detect if the subject is moving or not.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiro1963 View Post
Hey littlejohn-

As you might already know, you could use focus lock and move to the desired composition.

Also, are you using a filter on the 18-55? As you know, I just started using a dSLR seriously. And with my skill, I can take a sharper photo without a filter even though I was using some top rated filters like HOYA HMC UV and B+W MRC ( http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html ).

Your dog photos are sharp!

- Hiro
no filters...yes the dog is sharp and its the 55-200 lens where the horse is 18-55
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Thanks Jim,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Anytime you use Multi-segment (Pattern) Metering mode, and the frame contains a significant amount of grass, that grass will determine the exposure. The result is that other items in the frame will be less important when the camera determines the exposure settings. Since the A230 doesn't have an AEL button, you could use Center Weighted or Spot Metering, or use exposure compensation as JimC suggested.
I've changed the setting to center weighted so we'll give it a try..could you be so kind as to explain how the changing of EV would change the focus???
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_b View Post
Those are some nice photos of the dog, I can also see in the horse picture that the camera chose to focus on the grass...Overall, very nice. Did you just get the camera ?
Yes I am 'trying' it out...and it seems it's trying ME out too..LOL