Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:31 PM   #1

Default A700 Lens

Hi

I am currently using this lens most of the time on my A700

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ephoto_AF.html

I would like some advise on lenses in the same range that would have low f/s numbers thus be better for lower light and night shooting. What I have now works ok for the most part but I'd like to get to the next step and get a really good low light lens.

Can some point me to some sites and specific links that would have other 28 - 300mm or 18 - 270mm lenses (I was thinking I might need an f/s 4 as max or even a 2.8). I mainly shoot fire rescue photography (with a Sony A700, backup an A200) with 40% being in evening/night time. Money is tight but with the holidays coming up I thought I would look to see if any deals come about.

I really need a wide range for what I do and found that 28 - 300 is the perfect length without having to change lenses in the elements. I have heard about G series lenses and others but can't seem to locate the info I am after

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:40 PM   #2

By the way I just found the G series lens for close to $7,000.

My budget is like $1000 or less so thats way out of the ball park.

dave
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:04 PM   #3

For long zoom ranges, you already have the largest apertures you're going to get.

You could use both cameras, one with a Beercan and the other with a Tamron 28-75/2.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:24 PM   #4

thanks I saw a sony G 2.8 28-300mm but its $6,999.

Thanks for the reply

dave
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
thanks I saw a sony G 2.8 28-300mm but its $6,999.
I don't think that's correct. Sony has a 300mm f/2.8 'G' prime for $6,299 ...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:43 PM   #6

BTW, a minor increase in the maximum aperture will make the lens weigh a lot more. Are you up for that? Sigma's 100-300/4.0 weighs 3 times what your Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 does.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:13 PM   #7

wow thats heavy.....

thanks for your great info as usual

dave
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:13 AM   #8

Weight, price, range, single lens.

You got too many variables in the equation. The range is the big killer. Single lens that cover your desired range are not fast... mostly to keep the weight and price down.

But you can do the range with a two lens combination:

The previously mentioned Tamron 28-75/2.8 is just about the best choice for speed and modest range. Grab a Tamron 70-200/f2.8 and you would have a two lens monster combination that is more or less within your budget and would nearly reach the range you desire. But do you really want to carry the huge lens, much less having to switch between lenses during the event?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:19 AM   #9

Here is the G lens list:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...6&N=4294957192

Carl Zeiss list:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...5&N=4294957193

The range you want in a single fast lens really doesn't exist. Switching to another brand of camera won't help. The physics of fast lenses prevents an inexpensive single lens that is low in weight and doesn't cost more than your home.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:26 PM   #10
Administrator

As others have mentioned, it's just not practical to build a 28-300mm zoom with f/2.8 available throughout the focal range. There are already too many optical compromises being made to get that much focal range in a zoom, and you'd need a very large and heavy lens to do it with f/2.8 available throughout the focal range.

Since you seem to use longer focal lengths a lot when outdoors, another suggestion would be to look at a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 as a compromise between the 28-75mm and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens choices. That would start out a bit wider (50mm) compared to the 70-200mm lens offerings, and since it's a DC lens (designed for cameras with APS-C size sensors), it's smaller and lighter than the 70-200mm f/2.8 lens offerings. You'd be limited to 150mm on the long end, so move closer and/or crop more if you need to. ;-)

You're not going to find one lens that does what you want. So, you'll need to decide on the best compromise.

On the downside, with a DC series lens like the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8, you'd have to shoot in reduced resolution (cropped) mode on a model with a larger sensor like the Sony A850 or A900.

Then, bring a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC lens with you, in case you need a wider shot than a zoom lens starting at out 50mm would provide (or you need a lens that's a lot brighter than an f/2.8 zoom for lower light use).

Another compromise would be a used Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 AF lens. I'd probably avoid the newer Tamron SP 28-105mm f/2.8 (it's not as sharp as the older 35-105mm f/2.8).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote