Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1

Default A200 + Tamron 28-300mm macro mode (High ISO)

The first two pictures were taken in macro mode at f11 with ISO 3200, no flash. Shutter speeds were 1/3 and 1/15 respectively. The other three were taken also in macro mode f11, ISO 1600 with shutter speeds of 1/3, 1/15 and 1/20 respectively. All pictures were taken hand held.
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:05 AM   #2

Very nice photos Tullio,

How did you hand hold at 1/3 sec shutter speed? I can't even do the 1/20 sec hand hold well.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:15 AM   #3

Thanks, Antony. Body position and camera holding is everything when shooting at very low speeds such as these. I usually have my left elbow against my body as I hold the camera from underneath the lens. I try not to stand up if possible since our bodies constantly move to keep balance and any slight movement will cause blurriness. Squakwking or getting down on your knee really helps stabalize your body. If I'm getting on my knee, I have the right knee down so I can use my left knee for extra support of my elbow and consequently, arm. Then, right before I shoot I breath out and hold. Some people prefer to breath in but I find it more difficult to stay motionless when your lungs are full. Last but not least, the Alphas have this neat feature which tells you on the LCD to the right of the little shaking hand, how steady the camera is. This is very useful in such conditions as you can tell how steady you really are before shooting. The more bars showing next to the shaking hand, the less steady the camera is. I kind of wait until I get 1 tiny bar before pressing the shutter. I haven't seen this feature in any other entry level DSLR (well, I haven't really checked the features implemented on new Canon, Pana, Nikon, Oly, Pentax, etc. models so it is possible that other manufactures have implemented something similar). I do not use burst mode. I prefer to shoot one shot at the time as I can monitor all these things more closely. Of course not all shots are nice and sharp but I get a very good ratio (3-4 good ones for one bad). I can post many other images very similar to the ones I selected for this topic taken just seconds apart and you'll see the quality is very much the same in terms of sharpness. My choices were made based on angle not sharpness.

Tullio
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:06 PM   #4

Thank you Tullio for your tips on handholding camera for slow shutter speed. I am simply quite used to use tripod.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5

Just a quick note to say I'm enjoying your 28-300 series and appreciate you bringing this lens to our attention as an option for a walk around lens.

NewsyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 7:27 PM   #6

Thanks very much, NewsyL. This is indeed a good walk around lens but you got to know its limitations.

Tullio
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsyL View Post
Just a quick note to say I'm enjoying your 28-300 series and appreciate you bringing this lens to our attention as an option for a walk around lens.

Its also a good lens for shooting fire and rescue stuff when you don't for any reason want to have to change your lens (smoke, blood, dust, dirt etc in the air -- just asking to clog up the sensor.......). It gives me the range I need to be able to get an entire fire in one picture or to shoot a close-up shot without getting in the way. Sure it has some limitations but you get used to it.

Also nice images!

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Its also a good lens for shooting fire and rescue stuff when you don't for any reason want to have to change your lens (smoke, blood, dust, dirt etc in the air -- just asking to clog up the sensor.......). It gives me the range I need to be able to get an entire fire in one picture or to shoot a close-up shot without getting in the way. Sure it has some limitations but you get used to it.

Also nice images!

dave
And those limitations might be???
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:11 PM   #9

If you shoot at 300mm wide open, you'll get soft images. To preserve shrpness at FL greater than 200mm, you should use f8 or higher (I find f11 to be the lens sweet spot). Also, in low light the lens hunts a bit. Other than that, it's a great lens with excellent macro capability.

Tullio
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:55 AM   #10

Hunts a bit?? (sorry for being soooo...naive)...do you mean the AF goes seems to have trouble 'locking on'??
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote