Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 5, 2009, 6:21 PM   #1

Default Sony a500/a550

Unless I have missed something, no one has yet posted that the replacements for the a300/a350 are about to arrive - both are now shown on Sonystyle and B&H, to be available this month as body and lens or body only as alpha 500 and 550. Obviously the 330/380 were not replacements for the a300/350, but only beginners' cameras with more bells and whistles. If one plays the numbers game, higher numbers are always the more advanced (unless you use Pentax), so there is room for the current 300 series to move up to 400 and the new 500 series to move up to 600, but whence the a700? There is already an 850 and a 900, so since there is no room for it in the number series (unless there will be a 750), there may be no replacement in kind for the 700, which has already been discontinued. IMO Sony now has a full enough series a with sufficient choice for a while, at least.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:14 PM   #2

This coincides with what I said some time ago. Sony should have given the FF Alphas a different model number series. Leave the APS-C dSLRs with the three digit model numbers, so there'd be room for something more advanced than the A700. Then give the FF dSLRs two digit numbers, The A900 could have been the A70 and the A850 could have been the A60 or A65 or somthing, which would leave room for something that was more advanced than the A900. Giving everything a three digit model number is just going to be trouble.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:58 PM   #3

To some extent, Sony may be maintaining a tradition - the current numbering is a continuation of the old Minolta Maxxum scheme -- 3- entry level, 5- and 6- amateur, 7- and 8- enthusiast/advanced amateur, 9- semi/pro level. They varied the number of digits after the initial one, and added one or two letters to signify different features. I had 7000i, 8000i, 3xi (for my wife), 7xi, 650si, 5D and 7D out of those series. Once they have exhausted the possibilities of the 3 digit system, they can always vary their designations the way Minolta did.

Last edited by penolta; Oct 5, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4

Yeah, but Minolta didn't have different size image sensors.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:46 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Unless I have missed something, no one has yet posted that the replacements for the a300/a350 are about to arrive - both are now shown on Sonystyle and B&H, to be available this month as body and lens or body only as alpha 500 and 550.
They were announced the same time as the A850. Here's a sticky thread with links to the main site here where you'll find more info:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...dels-sony.html

Quote:
Obviously the 330/380 were not replacements for the a300/350, but only beginners' cameras with more bells and whistles. If one plays the numbers game, higher numbers are always the more advanced (unless you use Pentax), so there is room for the current 300 series to move up to 400 and the new 500 series to move up to 600, but whence the a700?
The Advanced Amateur/Semi-Pro niche the A700 sits in is probably one of the most important within the lineup. IOW, I think it's just a matter of time before we see an A700 replacement announced.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
They were announced the same time as the A850.
I didn't word that well - I was referring to their arrival. The a850 arrived on time in September, and the a500/550 are expected in October - I was remarking that they were due and am wondering if anyone has seen them yet.

Last edited by penolta; Oct 6, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Administrator

They're already shipping in some of the overseas markets. For the U.S., sonystyle.com is currently showing October 21 as the expected ship date for the A500 if you pre-order now.

However, in the past, their ship dates have usually been conservative (new models usually start shipping before the dates shown for them at sonystyle.com).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote