Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Administrator

When I upgraded from a KM 5D to the A700, the better viewfinder alone was worth it to me (as I already wear glasses and find the larger viewfinder much better for viewng size/eye relief). I also prefer the larger grip surface and control layout on the A700

BTW, if you haven't read about it, Sony does offer a new accessory that would help give you a better viewfinder image with any of their dSLR models.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:51 AM   #12

Hi JimC-

I too wear glasses. Thanks for passing that on. It seems like a good accessory and I am going to order one. Are you using it?

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Administrator

No. I haven't tried one yet.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Thanks, JimC-

It sure does look nice. However, I jumped the gun and purchased the A-700 while it is still available, so the budget is currently a bit trashed.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Welcome to the A700 club..... seems like you have bought - have a lot of cameras..... how many does this make it and what do you currently use as your primary camera.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
... BTW, if you haven't read about it, Sony does offer a new accessory that would help give you a better viewfinder image with any of their dSLR models.
A note of caution, however. It doesn't seem to work with other eyepiece accessories, like the diopter eyepiece correctors, etc.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 8:40 AM   #16
Administrator

In addition to Sonystyle.com having stock, it looks like the A500 is starting to hit dealer shelves, too. For example, I just got an e-mail notification from http://www.jr.com showing them in stock there.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
In addition to Sonystyle.com having stock, it looks like the A500 is starting to hit dealer shelves, too. For example, I just got an e-mail notification from http://www.jr.com showing them in stock there.

Its been at our local store for abou6t a week now...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:36 PM   #18

in reviewing the specs....I see it (A500) is larger then the A230 and the exposure bracketing is +/- 2 EV.

Its been suggested the +/- 5 EV is better for HDR...that leaves the D5000 and E620 in the running...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:52 PM   #19
Administrator

You're only going to get 4 EV difference with cameras limited to 3 frames total at 2 EV apart, giving you something like this for 3 exposures:

-2EV, 0, +2EV

Then, you'd need to combine them using software.

The Sony A500 has a neat feature that can take two photos at 3 EV apart (one exposed for shadows, one exposed for highlights) combing them in camera to create an HDR Image using it's DRO processing for best results. It even aligns the two images to compensate for minor differences in framing to reduce the need for a tripod.

You can see how it combines two images if you click on the link labeled "See how HDR works" under the Dynamic Range Management Section on this page. You'll have to press the right arrow to advance between slides after you click on that link.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970155
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:59 AM   #20

Quote:
BTW, if you haven't read about it, Sony does offer a new accessory that would help give you a better viewfinder image with any of their dSLR models.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/produ...product-report
Ever since I got FDA-ME1AM, I've left it on camera, it helps a lot with α350 since the viewfinder's magnification is only 0.74x