Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 8, 2009, 1:29 PM   #51

You need to find SonyStyle store near you. A550 was on display in the store near me. A500 was in stock too.
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:27 PM   #52

bhphotovideo.com has the body and body/lens kit in stock.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:45 AM   #53
Administrator

If you have Ritz or Wolf Camera near you, they probably stock them (the one in Oglethorpe Mall here in Savannah does). Best Buy is only stocking the entry level models (A230, A330), at least for right this minute.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:54 AM   #54

Hey
I ordered a A550, still hasn't arrived, but i think it will be a great camera for me since it will be my first dslr.
when i get it and learn more about it, i could tell u if it was worth it.
Bruno28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:03 PM   #55

Great. Looks like A550 is a very nice entry-level camera, fast live view, fps, high ISO, etc. The prices are bit high though. In 6 months when prices are about D5000 level, this would be the best entry-level model from Sony, far better than A220/A330/A380 models that Sony should retire, and replace them with just A500/A550 as the entry level models.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:10 PM   #56
Administrator

The entry level models are smaller, lighter, and less expensive. ;-) You can buy the A230 for around $429.99 right now including a kit lens at some reputable online vendors. The entry level models are targeting users moving up from a point and shoot model, and they may not need or care about all of the features on a higher end model, especially if they're on a limited budget.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:48 PM   #57
Super Moderator

One thing I didn't notice was the A550/500 lack both program shift and DoF preview. thats pretty shocking for a camera of that price tbh.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 1:52 PM   #58
Administrator

True. But, personally, I don't ever use those features. So, it wouldn't make any difference to me. Using Aperture Priority and spinning the control wheel accomplishes the same thing as using Program Shift in P mode anyway (you're just stepping through available combinations of aperture/shutter speed for correct exposure as the camera is metering it either way). ;-)
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:00 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The entry level models are smaller, lighter, and less expensive. ;-) You can buy the A230 for around $429.99 right now including a kit lens at some reputable online vendors. The entry level models are targeting users moving up from a point and shoot model, and they may not need or care about all of the features on a higher end model, especially if they're on a limited budget.
What all of the features on a higher end model?

A5xx has perfect features for people moving up from p&s.

As for price, Sony should drop prices. Make A500 $500 and A550 $650 (and get rid of lower models).

A550 would be #1 choice at that price on any brand.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 4:04 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
True. But, personally, I don't ever use those features. So, it wouldn't make any difference to me. Using Aperture Priority and spinning the control wheel accomplishes the same thing as using Program Shift in P mode anyway (you're just stepping through available combinations of aperture/shutter speed for correct exposure as the camera is metering it either way). ;-)
Yea, the program shift, i personally would not use either, as I am in aperture priority 99% of the time as well. The dof preview i do use from time to time.

not a deal breaker for most, just found it an odd exclusion for this tier.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote