Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 12, 2009, 5:29 PM   #61

The problem with not having Program Shift is that people coming from P&S cameras have never had a control dial before. When they get their first dSLR, they find that the control dial doesn't do anything. When they out grow AUTO and move to P, they find that their settings are finally preserved from one session to the next, but the control dial still doesn't do anything. Those users aren't even aware of what A or S modes do (Cybershots only have AUTO, P, M and scene modes), so when they outgrow P mode they're supposed to instantly reaquaint themselves with a whole new way of using the camera that they've already owned for a significant amount of time, including the control dial that now can be used to adjust the exposure settings even though it never did before.

If you want to make a camera easy to use, you keep the controls doing the same thing all the time. (How many times have others complained here that a particular control does one thing one time and another thing another time? That just adds another level of complexity to something that could be very simple if the manufacturer wanted it that way.)
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:02 AM   #62

http://friedmanarchives.com/newslett...9-12/index.htm
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Good to see a real-world review from an experienced serious photographer - thanks for posting it. I had been on the fence about this camera for a while now, wondering whether it would be much of an improvement over my 350, with which I have a love-hate relationship. I finally bit the bullet a couple of days ago and ordered one, so I am glad to see that my negative opinion about reviewers who have hardly used the cameras they knock is borne out on this one.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #64

Video review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjwnFG1zc8
oneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 2:02 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
Very useful - thanks for posting it.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote