Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Please help:What do you set custom setting and WB on your Sony DSLR

On my A700 I set :

Quality : Extra fine
DRO : Advanced LV5
Creative Style : AdobeRGB
Custom button: Creative Style
WB :4700k ( at night) not sure about sunny indoor and outdoor
Mode : M
I have searched custom setting on this forum but I can't find the exactlly answer I'm looking for and like I said this is my 1st DSLR and Im still learning , also Im just done firmware V4 on my A700 . Please share your experiences,advices because I know there are some new members want to know about this too . From bottom of my heart I really appreciate to all of yours help.

Sang.
sangA700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:38 AM   #2

Can you describe the problem you're having, and possibly post some images that are examples of the problem.

Off the top of my head, someone that's new to dSLRs using M Mode is like a non-swimmer jumping into the deep end of a pool. There are lots of things that can go wrong, and you may not have the prerequisite experience to identify the many discrete problems that, together, may be causing the results you're not pleased with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:40 AM   #3

custom settings change with almost every situation your in. especially your white balance. the a700 is fairly simple to set a custom white balance, you just need a gray card and change it for whatever your situation. But i almost always change my custom settings everytime i pick up my camera. just depends on what your shooting. posting examples of pictures will help people here give you informative info. Hope this helps, once again its just my opinion.

sorry tcav we must have been typing at the same time

Last edited by ecap; Oct 15, 2009 at 6:42 AM. Reason: tcavs post
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:53 AM   #4
Administrator

I leave DRO on either standard or off (off when using higher ISO speeds) most of the time, and I don't use AdobeRGB (because that means you'd need to convert it to sRGB to prevent muted colors in non-color space aware applications and browsers).

I stick to either Standard or Neutral Creative Style settings and usually leave contrast dialed back to -1.

I tend to shoot cRAW + JPEG Fine most of the time. If I'm shooting indoors, I'll either use a preset (for example, incandescent/tungsten; sunny if using a flash) or a custom white balance (more difficult lighting). For outdoors, I usually stick with Auto WB (although I may dial in cloudy or shade from time to time for a warmer look).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 7:04 AM   #5
Administrator

If you want punchier photos straight from the camera, you may want to try this:

Create Style: Standard
Saturation +2
Sharpness +2
Contrast -1

Some of our members with Sony dSLR models like to use a Vivid Creative Style with similar settings, too.

I tend to prefer a more conservative approach (leaving Sharpening and Saturation at normal, with contrast dialed back a bit). There's no one perfect way to do it, as preferences in what looks best for a given subject type will vary.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:07 AM   #6

I accuatly don't know alot of DSLR until I met a guy who a photography professional for wedding photos. He teach me the technic of the DSLR . About the setting I got from Sony they advice me to set those . I will take pics this weekend after follow your advices . Thanks alot for all your times
sangA700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I leave DRO on either standard or off (off when using higher ISO speeds) most of the time, and I don't use AdobeRGB (because that means you'd need to convert it to sRGB to prevent muted colors in non-color space aware applications and browsers).

I stick to either Standard or Neutral Creative Style settings and usually leave contrast dialed back to -1.

I tend to shoot cRAW + JPEG Fine most of the time. If I'm shooting indoors, I'll either use a preset (for example, incandescent/tungsten; sunny if using a flash) or a custom white balance (more difficult lighting). For outdoors, I usually stick with Auto WB (although I may dial in cloudy or shade from time to time for a warmer look).
I have my camera set like Jim except that I don't shoot raw images at this time. At night I never set a color tempature and use +1 exposure a lot of the time.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:21 AM   #8

If you're entirely new at this, I suggest you reset your camera to its default values, take some photos, and then figure out what settings you want to change. Changing a bunch of stuff ahead of time just because that's what someone told you to do isn't going to make learning your camera any easier. And if there's something you don't like, and you can't figure out how to fix it, then you ask someone else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote