Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:16 PM   #1

Default Sony A200 Repair Info Needed

Can anyone tell me how I can get a Sony A200 worked on. The rear LCD screen is not working. The camera got soaked by accident the other day during a major working firefighting operation. The pictures taken by the camera come out 100% but the LCD screen just displays lines and dots and such.

Also any idea how much a new screen would cost to be put in?

Also I live in Central VA near Charlottesville in case their is anyone in the area that could do it without sending it half way around the world to get it repaired.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:59 PM   #2

Dave-

Check out Precision Camera Repair or go to www.ebay.com, where Sony A-200's are still selling for CHEAP.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the info they are quoting me $200....... I was hoping no more than $100.

Will keep looking

dave
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Thanks for the info they are quoting me $200....... I was hoping no more than $100.
Precision Camera's quotes are sight unseen, and should be considered as worst case. But that may be what you've got.

KEH.com does repairs as well, so you might want to contact them.

Good luck.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:54 PM   #5

The guy at KEH.com had to call me back when I called them. He talked to his Sony repair tech who said the screen for the A200 is around $125 for them to buy and then labor to install etc brings it at $225...... ouch. I am waiting to hear back from Sony and some other people before I decide what to do.

dave
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:30 AM   #6
Administrator

I'd probably use Precision (the authorized repair center for many models), as they'd be more likely to have the parts, test equipment for calibration, etc.

You could also have some water damage in addition to the LCD issue (causing oxidation on contacts/internal corrosion, etc.), so I'd take that into consideration before deciding if it's worth the expense to repair it.

Another option:

I just noticed some posts on another forum indicating that Sonystyle Retail stores have closeout pricing on the A200 kits ($299 for a new A200 body including the 18-70mm lens) while supplies last.

If you have a Sonystyle retail store anywhere close to you, you may want to give them a call to see if they have any in stock:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tail_Locations
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:36 AM   #7
Administrator

Note that better sealing is one advantage of the A700 (and I have used mine in light rain before). But, it's probably not a good idea to get any of them wet if you can avoid it, especially since most lenses are not going to have any weather sealing

So, you may want to look into some rain sleeves, given the type of environment you shoot it. If nothing else, get a couple of cheap ones like these to offer some protection for water spray, etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:37 AM   #8

I think getting a "new" one makes more sense than fixing your old one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:02 AM   #9

Just talked to someone at Sony about getting my A200 repaired. It's just a week under the warranty period. They told me if I wanted to get warranty work done on it it would have to go to them and not any third party repair center or the work would be voided and I would be charged for it. They provided me an address in Texas to send it to and a Prepaid UPS label I printed out.

I'll let you know how it turns out. They claim I should have the camera back in 18 to 28 days after I ship it out.

dave
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:12 AM   #10
Administrator

Dave, I don't think they'll repair water damage under Warranty. IOW, I'd expect a repair estimate once they look at it and see that water caused the problem.