Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:51 PM   #1

Default Need help deciding the new lens for A700

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum and Sony Alpha community.
I had a A350 with kit lens for few months and loved the camera. Now I am moving to A700 very soon. I am new to the DSLR community and can use some help from experienced users on deciding the lens to go with my A700.

- How good is the SAL18-200 zoom lens for everyday zoom lens use? I can get the SAL18-200 for 50$ more. Is it a good buy ? or should I buy some other zoom lens and buy just the body for now?

- I need a prime lens for mostly portraits and general purpose use but I also like to do occasional macro photography. Lets say 80% portrait and 20% macro. I am confused between SAL50F14 and SAL100M28. I cannot buy both, I need to decide one. Which one should I go for? I am personaly more inclined towards SAL100M28, but I am not sure weather it will be a good lens for landscape/portrait photography since it is a macro lens.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated. I am going to buy the new camera and lens by next week.
piyush1gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:56 PM   #2
Administrator

If it's only $50 more to get the lens, I'd probably grab it, even though it's not the highest quality lens around. Put it on Ebay if you don't like it. ;-)

As for the other two lenses, you may also want to look at the recently introduced Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT lens in a lower cost prime. As for what focal length would be best would depend on the conditions you're using a lens in (how much room you have to work with, etc.) as well as your photography style (head shots from closer ranges, versus wider shots from further away, etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I think I'll go for the 18-200 zoom lens for 50$ more and if I dont like it I can always sell it for atleast 50$

My primary concern regarding the prime lens is whether I can use the 100M28 for good portraits/landscape photography or not ? and vice-verse can I use 50F14 for occasional Macro (mostly flowers or other still objects)? And like I said, my primary purpose for prime lens is 80% portrait/landscape use and 20% macro use.

Forgot to add, these are only two choices I have for prime lens. I am getting them for really good price so I am not looking for any other options at this point.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:09 PM   #4
Administrator

That's up to you. I'd probably go with the 100mm, as I tend to use that focal length more than 50mm on a dSLR if I go to a prime (I've got the Minolta 100mm f/2 AF lens, not the f/2.8 Macro). I also use my Minolta 28mm f/2 AF lens more than a 50mm. But, for portraits in close quarters, some types of landscapes, etc., you may be better suited by a shorter lens compared to the 100mm (since you may not always be able to back up far enough to get what you want into the frame). But, if it's a really good price, I'd probably grab the 100mm, as it's got a reputation of being a very high quality lens. You could always grab a used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 AF lens, or a new Sony 50mm f/1.8 DT lens later if you needed a shorter prime at a relatively low cost (you can find either one for under $200).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:32 PM   #5
Super Moderator

i would agree, if you get a really good price on the macro lens, you can save more on that lens. and like jim said, you can always pick up a cheaper 50, which for most brands are still quite sharp.

and just use the 18-200 on the wide end for landscape stuff for now.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:00 PM   #6

First, the 18-200 is pretty bad, but for $50, it's hard to pass up. But you must remember that there's a reason they're selling it for $50. That is, they couldn't sell it for $100. That's because it's pretty bad. And it suffers from significant distortion at the wide end, so it's not much good for landscapes. After owning it a short while, I became very disappointed with it. And I was using a 6MP dSLR; you'll be using a 12MP dLSR so it may take you less time to recognize its many flaws.

Second, a 50mm prime is too short for head & shoulders portraits, or for kid's portraits. It's ok for couples portraits and environmental portraits, but if that's not wnat you want to do, you should consider something longer. And a 50mm prime won't work well as a macro lens either.

For portraits, you should consider something longer. There's the Tamron 60/2.0, the Sigma 70/2.8, the Tamron 90/2.8 and Sigma 105/2.8, all of which are very good and cost less than the Sony 100/2.8 (which is excellent.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:09 PM   #7

Ok

Here are the three choices for the price that I can get them for :
SAL100M28 - 350 (regular ~550+)
SAL50M28 - 250 (regular ~450+)
SAL50F14 - 180 (regular ~350+)

Here is my use case :
80% - portraits (adult, kid or family)
20% - macro (mostly still subjects)

Which lens do you pick that gives best value for money and usability?

Last edited by piyush1gupta; Oct 30, 2009 at 4:13 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:12 PM   #8

Put your 18-70 on your A350, zoom all the way out to 70mm, rotate the camera so it's vertical, and take a picture of someone facing you at about a distance of about 5-6 feet. Then crop it so you've got the framing for the type of portrait you'd like to take.

At 70mm, a lens on an APS-C dSLR will give you an angle of view of about 22. If you crop about 1/3 off the width of the image to get the framing you want, you need a lens with about 1/3 narrower angle of view. That's the angle of view you'd get with a 105mm lens.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 4:20 PM   #9

I dont have the 350 anymore. Sold it already
So the lens being marked specifically in "MACRO" category can be used for good general purpose portraits ?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1gupta View Post
So the lens being marked specifically in "MACRO" category can be used for good general purpose portraits ?
Macro lenses are very sharp, possibly sharper than might be flattering for a portrait. But the results of softening are generally much better than sharpening an image that's already too soft. So, yes, you can use a macro lens for portraits, and the large apertures create the shallow depth of field.

The trick is picking the focal length.