Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:59 AM   #11

I had a Beercan and was very pleased with the results. But I was usually shooting outdoors. When I tried to use it indoors, I could never get fast enough shutter speeds. While it is a great lens, I don't think it will be a great lens for what you do.

But for <$200, I'm sure you'll be happy with it for something.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12

I got the lens yesterday. Haven't had a chance to test it at night or indoors yet. I did use it at a 5k race this morning and got some nice shots. The focus was working well. I will hopefully get a chance in the next week to test it at night and see what becomes of it.

What is interesting about this lense is I thought it was an f/4 and turns out its an f/3.5-4. Or at least thats what the display screen shows as I zoom out.

Also the lens hood that came with it is huge/longer -- larger/longer than the one for my 28 - 300mm.

What I have determined from all my resent shooting and paying attention to the settings on the camera screen is that most of my shots are in the 120 - 200mm range so the 50 -150 f/2.8 would not be long enough in my opinion.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
What is interesting about this lense is I thought it was an f/4 and turns out its an f/3.5-4. Or at least thats what the display screen shows as I zoom out.
Minolta also made a 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5. It's not bad, but it's not a 'Beercan'. Check to make sure what you got was a 'Beercan'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:29 PM   #14

I have the beercan and it is a great lense however it won't thrill you in low light situations.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
What I have determined from all my resent shooting and paying attention to the settings on the camera screen is that most of my shots are in the 120 - 200mm range so the 50 -150 f/2.8 would not be long enough in my opinion.
Yea, but if your photos are blurry because your shutter speeds are not fast enough, then having a longer focal length isn't going to help much. ;-)

If that's a 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5 (which is what it sounds like), then you'll be at f/4 or so at those focal lengths, meaning that your shutter speeds are going to be twice as long as you'd get using an f/2.8 zoom for a given lighting and ISO speed (f/2.8 is exactly twice as bright as f/4).

You may also want to consider something like a Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF lens as a compromise if you normally shoot in the 120-200mm range, using your feet for zoom. It's a relatively small and light lens for it's focal length and brightness (I'll sometimes carry one along in a larger vest pocket when I think I may need something longer than my normal walk around zooms).

But, for indoor use without a flash, even f/2.8 may not be bright enough, depending on the lighting, subject type, and how tolerable you are to noise levels at higher ISO speeds. For example, I tend to use my Minolta 100mm f/2 AF lens a lot more in low light compared to my f/2.8 lenses in that general focal range (f/2 is twice as bright as f/2.8).

Note that Sony offers a brighter Sony/Carl Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 (more than twice as bright as an f/2.8 lens). But, it's pricey (lists for approx. $1479).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:58 PM   #16

I had a chance to test it out tonight in low light at a fire scene. It worked pretty well. Most of the photos were not that blurry (about the same as I would get from my 28-300 f4.5-6.3) I was using ISO800 which is the norm for me....... I know that the 50-150mm f/2.8 will give me much faster shutter speeds. The ones I did save were nice shots a little bit better than what I was getting before in low light/night shooting.

Thanks for everyone's help with this thread now back to work (unfortunately)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:35 AM   #17

i just got myself a minolta 28-135mm f4-4.5 and got to say im loving it..paid 70 for it off ebay .Which i think is a bargain..Very fast focusing on my A700 with quality sharp photos all the way through the lens ....Best lens i have at the moment .and its a great walkaround lens ..Only if it were a little lighter . But its the classic minolta build which is excellent .Its definalty a keeper and its got pride of place in my bag

Martin

Season greetings to all
linearamp is offline   Reply With Quote