Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 14, 2009, 7:58 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,053
Default Lens For A700

I am looking for a new lens to add to my arsenal mainly for shooting in lower light situations (in door in crappy lighting etc) with an A700/A200.

I have the kit 18-70mm and a 28-300 f/45.-6.3

The 28 - 300 serves me well and does what I need it to do 90% of the time its the other 10% when the lighting is bad that I need something faster lower f/s........

What I have figured out is that I need the range to be to at least to 135mm and that it needs to be f/4.0 or lower at the max length.

I have been looking on line at:
Tokina 50-135mm Preo DX f/2,8
Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 EX DG HSMII

Anyone used either of these on a Sony, any other lenses I should be looking at Budget was $500 to $600 when I first started looking but is now at max $800.

Also anyone have any insider info that would lead them to believe these lenses might go on sale on black Friday or closer to Christmas?

Thanks in advance.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2009, 8:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

well they are pretty similar optically, maybe a slight edge to the tokina. but the sigma focus's a good deal faster. so if your needs involve sports/action, i would definitely lean towards the sigma.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,053
Default

Thanks for your thoughts. I do a lot of shooting for the local fire-rescue system especially on calls and such..... while its not sports action timing can be everything.....

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

yea, i would go with the sigma for the faster AF and for the extra reach then.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,053
Default

I was leaning towards that till I saw the review of the other lens and then wasn't sure...

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

yea, the optical quality difference is not much, i think its a worthwhile trade for the fast and silent AF, especially for the types of things you will do.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:23 PM   #7
Member
 
robintrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 74
Default

anything against the Minolta Beercan? 70 - 210 f/4 throughout. Can be had for usually under $200 on ebay. I've been pretty happy with mine.
robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,053
Default

At the places I was searching for lenses I did not find a new one listed. I had a bad experience with e-bay that makes me never to want to use them again......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:18 PM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

i don't think the beercan can match the newer lenses AF, optics are solid, but i don't think it would be ideal for the aforementioned purposes.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Decatur, GA
Posts: 2,053
Default

Thanks for the idea.... I did some searching and KEH.com had one in stock for under $200 as well. I will be ordering one tomorrow to try out.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:24 PM.